blocks sub-design

Reaction score
    a lot of topics are about having better variations of blocks, eg by having differant types or tiers, but this game is all about designing stuff yourself, so... why not implement a redstone like system to design the internal components of a block?

differant minerals could have differant effects, eg plextanium is just rly hard, awesomenite emits shield when a current passes through it, some other ore generates power out of thin air when placed in a specific configuration,

those blocks, if properly designed, would be better then the standard blocks, but you'd have to manufacture them, you couldn't buy them anywhere.

this could also add a level of realism to the manufacturing, let's say the blocks internal structure is 4*4*4, each block would then cost 1/64th of a full block, so you'd have to make the blocks in batches of 64, and if you were to fill it up with 1 type of mineral, the batch would require 64 of those minerals to produce, you could add some other costs ofcourse like memory modules or grey hull for the casing or whatever.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Basically, in games such as Minecraft and Starmade, the blocks are stored as a number. Dirt is 0, rock is 1, etc.

Now, sometimes that isn\'t enough. For example, in minecraft, the reason a wool block isn\'t the same color as a dyed one is it\'s metadata. So really, all blocks have more like two numbers. Now, for some blocks this isn\'t enough. The obvious example is a chest. A chest uses something called a tileEntity. They store even more data. But, I don\'t know if you\'ve ever tried to do this in minecraft, but I have. Take a bajillion chests. Place them down. Your game will complain. This 4*4*4 idea, meaning 64 block per \"real block\" means that the game will take the same amount of memory for a 100 block ship (a small fighter) using your idea, as a 6400 block frigate.

That said, it would be more reasonable to have a material and a object data, such as a \"Plextanium Hull\" or a \"Veldspar Hull\"

Is Veldspar this or Eve. I\'m so confused. I think it\'s eve. Anyways. Awesomeite.

Just a thought.

Reaction score
    forgot to mention this, but when a block design is finished it should be saved as a new type of block, with the new stats attached to it, so it would take just as much computing power as a regular block.