Better ship destruction

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It would be great to have the option to have a mechanic in which parts of a ship not directly attached to the core become their own seperate entity. this would add a new tactic to battles and a nice little ship graveyard effect on past battlegrounds. This could also be combined with a new core destruction system where the core vaporises everything within a five block radius and throws the rest of the ship into space as debris.

i have no idea how difficult to code or processor intensive this would be but i think it would really improve the game and make scavenger ships far more usefull.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But I would like clouds of vaporized materials to be collectable with a magnetic collector and the salvage beam to not just move the blocks to your inventar, but vaporize them and require factories to get new, working blocks.

Thought about writing a topic about vaporized clouds as blocks may cause LAG and are difficult to calculate...

Reaction score
    • I think power blocks should begin to \"overload\" when they have taken a lot of damage and should heat up, melt the blocks near them and eventually explode chaining on to power blocks near them, creating potentially huge chain reactions that could be devastating to ships that have a few long lines of power. This would inspire creative thinking among ship designs.
    • I think if one of the major systems has been completely destroyed on a ship then there should be no core overload and the ship should not be destroyed leaving an abandoned hulk with no faction.

Reaction score
    IS this not what the Ship break off setting in server.cfg does? turn it on, see if it is what you want.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Original

ENABLE_BREAK_OFF = false //debug (don\'t activate unless you know what you\'re doing)
    COLLISION_DAMAGE = false //colliding into another object does damage (experimental)

Fixed Version

ENABLE_BREAK_OFF = wtf? //debug (don\'t activate unless you are Schema)
    COLLISION_DAMAGE = yeah!trollsGOGOGO! //stuck causes random destruction within your ship even if no hull is damaged.

I can\'t find any better explanation for these two options :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think this is a great idea, but it ruins the ships that are not all connected to the core. A fix to this would be a module that alows for disconected parts to not float away. The parts of the ship would have to be attached to the core or one of these modules, the modules would also act like docking modules, they would need enhancements to accomidate for larger floating portions. This alows for cool ships with seperated parts and lots of distruction.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A fix to this would be a module that alows for disconected parts to not float away.

Just got an idea from that (not thought too much about it jet):

• Just let each separated part use 1 core.
    • Disable un-cored and separated parts.
    • Disable joining two parts with a core in each.
    • If you are in a build module, you can remove the core (disable part) and add it again. Ships without any cores are either stations if you pay 1 million cr in order to leave build mode, or the build block you used to remove the core becomes the new one.

Reaction score
    Great, I like the idea of a big mothership, taking a heavy beating, missiles and torpedoes impacting and big chunks of hull and corridor segments just shattered apart and floating away into the darkness of space, while players still running through the blown off corridors, hasting for the escape pods :D

Never tried the break-off setting, will do it, when at home...

But there will be problems. Some ppl like to build exotic designs with free-floating ship parts, wich would be difficult. Sure, one could use several ship cores, but how to define where different ship subsegments begin and end. Eventually a similar mechanic to the docking system with its enhancers. A \"submodule docking port\" with \"submodule docking enhancers\". Exactly like the standard docking system, only with NO gap between the docked components and not counting as a docked vehicle/turret you can switch to with up/down arrows in flight, the whole docked submodules combined behaving like one big ship, when thinking about the structure panel or entering build mode from the primary module.

In a \"different\" game, this is standard, but makes construction complicated, since removing a single block could split-half your entire ship, the smaller parts, becoming their own entities, start to drift away and cannot be reconnected to the source ship.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    but how to define where different ship subsegments begin and end

One in the beginning, one in the end.

A ship requires one core for each separated part to be fly-able - else you can just not enter fly mode.

Reaction score
    Just connect floating parts with deactivated plex doors?
    As for the bugs, welcome to new alpha features... they are riddled with bugs, which will get sorted out in time. Enjoy!

Reaction score
    I wish that there were more advanced damage systems.

But alas, in the current state of the game, allowing ships to break apart uses up a SHIT LOAD of resources.

As in, you better have a three thousand dollar computer to use break off.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But alas, in the current state of the game, allowing ships to break apart uses up a SHIT LOAD of resources.

As in, you better have a three thousand dollar computer to use break off.

No problem for just Asteroids and a few pirates...

But it spams target-diamonts - a new one for every single block which broke apart. And these additional diamonts never disappear - even if the object has no blocks left.

I would prefer that single blocks will become part of an abstract nebular-object which gives you ores with cost = similar to the items within in the case you salvage it.

I know, this would only fix it partially ... but it may improve the calculations a lot.

What are the pieces that float around? Asteroids? Ships? Stations?

Reaction score
    Sorry for the late response.

I tried the break-off setting... Very interesting, but yes, extremely resource demanding, since broken-off parts become their own entities.

It got even funnier, I combined a zero \'space friction value\', collision damage and dynamic asteroid physics. Those parts (and dead ships) keep floating through space for eternity and if they were charging at your ship, the dead wrecks will crash into it, if you don\'t reposition yourself :D

I think the present system just needs some performance tweaking, then it\'s good to go.