Better lights

Reaction score
    Hello Everyone, Im building a station and I have a lot of open space and it needs a lot of light just to light up the inside. How about, the more light blocks that touch each other the brighter the light will be and the more light will travel. The goal here is, to be able to light up massive open interiors (Hanger bays, u name it...) without having the need to place a lot of light blocks. We cant change the current light blocks or a lot of ships that had been built to this point of time will have "to much lights" problem. How about a new light block maybe call it "Neon Light Block" and it could come in difrent colours just like our current light blocks. What do all of u think or will it just be a waste of time???

Reaction score
    Lights do need to be brighter. We have an improved darkness system but no improved lighting. You need lights every 3 blocks now...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    How about a new light block maybe call it "Neon Light Block" and it could come in difrent colours just like our current light blocks
    I like the name you chose for it!!! :)

Lights do need to be brighter. We have an improved darkness system but no improved lighting. You need lights every 3 blocks now...
    It depends a lot on how much lighting rays you have set before starting the game.

That is not good because one greats something awesome which is horrible to play with lower settings.

I would like lights in interior hull blocks. Blocks which only light themselves and maybe can even be used to create the look&feel of many small windows on the outside of a ship.

Reaction score
    I would like lights in interior hull blocks. Blocks which only light themselves and maybe can even be used to create the look&feel of many small windows on the outside of a ship.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean normal looking hull blocks with an ambient light function? Sounds alright.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yeah, I would like to see brighter light blocks as well as more lighted utility blocks. I love me some energy storage blocks, and wish other blocks were also lit up. Energy reactors: blue/white, shield storage: yellow, shield generator: orange. I want computer screens to glow in the dark like a computer screen should.

Reaction score
    I for one would like floodlights.
    And for lights on my ships to affect other ships

Reaction score
    Yes please... Flood lights so you can put them on smaller ships and use them to mine stuff in dark areas. This is a must needed addition.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Flood lights are very cpu heavy.

Should be limited to a few (or a few active) per ship and big flood lights should negate small flood lights in the area off effect.

Reaction score
    Flood lights are very cpu heavy.

Should be limited to a few (or a few active) per ship and big flood lights should negate small flood lights in the area off effect.
    So it IS doable?
    Someone make a suggestion thread for that.

Reaction score
    So it IS doable?
    Someone make a suggestion thread for that.
    Oh it is doable, just painful on the old CPU. People will no doubt bitch and complain if you limit how many you can put on it, and also will complain if you can't play the game on a 64MHz laptop from 1989...

I'm sure some coding magic could be sprinkled over them to work, how about a 'light suggestion general' thread?

Reaction score
    Oh it is doable, just painful on the old CPU. People will no doubt bitch and complain if you limit how many you can put on it, and also will complain if you can't play the game on a 64MHz laptop from 1989...

I'm sure some coding magic could be sprinkled over them to work, how about a 'light suggestion general' thread?
    Oh come on people still playing starmade on a 89 computer? Oh well I guess these games will always have to be fully optimized for those 20th century machines. D:
    Someone make a thread, I can't as I already have a suggestion thread going on.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    As I stated in another thread....

We could just have 1 light block with options. Use an RGB slider bar for both the color of the block and the color of the light, have the RGB range from 0,0,0 - 250,250,250 and have check boxes when configuring it.
    ie:
    [ ] = Block Color does not change with light color
    [ ] = Has Neon Glow
    [ ] = Is a Spot Light
    [ ] = Flood Light
    [ ] = Soft Glow
    etc, etc,
    Note: the block would then keep those settings till you changed the options or you restarted your game, that way you could place as many as you need without the need for configuring each one each time. :)

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As I stated in another thread....

We could just have 1 light block with options. Use an RGB slider bar for both the color of the block and the color of the light, have the RGB range from 0,0,0 - 250,250,250 and have check boxes when configuring it.
    ie:
    [ ] = Block Color does not change with light color
    [ ] = Has Neon Glow
    [ ] = Is a Spot Light
    [ ] = Flood Light
    [ ] = Soft Glow
    etc, etc,
    Note: the block would then keep those settings till you changed the options or you restarted your game, that way you could place as many as you need without the need for configuring each one each time. :)
    Who needs 250^3 colors?

Our forum only has 64+black colors. We don't need more than 64,

Reaction score
    Who needs 250^3 colors?

I need 250^3 colors, or at least 2~3x the colors we have here. Here's a short list why:
    -camo
    -gradient
    -actually being able to pick a color you want instead of something similar

Yes, I do actually expect a lot from my builds.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Who needs 250^3 colors?

Well, in the 250 spectrum you tend to get very bright neon-ish (day glow) colors and it's just a range I threw out there, thats all. But as in the other thread about lights, it's not going to happen simply because they do not want to make the lights take up enormous amounts of resources.