[Benchmark] Low end and older PCs running StarMade

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    This is for some bragging right and credibility. What is the oldest or lowest spec machine you have gotten StarMade to run on and remain playable?

Server Only:

Ubuntu Linux on a Samsung Chromebook (Exynos 5) lowspec-nonx86
    Since the chromebook is just using the same kernel to run linux I can't access the GPU which locked me into a server console only situation but it did run.
    Windows 7 on an ACER Aspire x1200 (Athlon 4050e and NVidia GeForce 9200) lowspec-old
    The GPU driver is really outdated and attempts to update so far have failed otherwise this machine would probably run StarMade on low specs but it does a good job as a server. Before the drivers went screwy this desktop ran Borderlands 2 at lowest res on lowest settings at an average of 25fps. It was great for distracting guests I didn't wanna (or couldn't) lend my Core 2 Duo.
    Client only:

Windows 7 on an ACER Aspire x1200 (Athlon 4050e and NVidia GeForce 9200) lowspec-old
    Before the drivers went nutso this machine ran StarMade .09x at around 30fps.​

Windows 7 on a Toshiba Satellite C655D (AMD C-50 APU) lowspec-old
    This one warms up pretty fast but it doesn't overheat when used as a client. All specs at lowest possible and VBO set to 64. Playable but the FPS jerks around from 8 to 25 FPS unexpectedly. I suspect the over taxed CPU for the FPS drops. For a laptop approaching 4 years old I was surprised it still runs. It did have issues running some of the .09x series releases but the .15x and later seemed to stabilize the GPU load so the driver wouldn't crash.
    Single player (Server + Client):

Windows 8.1 on an HP Pavilion 15 n019 (AMD A6-5200 APU) lowspec
    Loading ships larger than 200 meters was a lot of fun. The stutter and laggy behavior made building on stations and planets a chore (place a block wait for it to appear and move on). Things got better when I reduced most of the specs. As a client this laptop actually ran very well with tweaked stock specs. I never used it as a server alone. This one got sent back to HP for repair when the fan gave out. It is currently in an HP shop awaiting surgery.
    Windows 8.1 on a Gateway NV52L23u (AMD A8-4500m APU) lowspec-old
    Of all the older machines this one performed the best. About 2 years old it didn't run on maxed spec. Some really nicely tweaked stock specs tho. Loading larger ships was not an issue and building on to them was pretty simple. At maxed specs it could pull 10 to 15fps but knocked back a bit it could hit 60 fps on servers. In SP the same settings would kick around 30 to 40 fps dipping to 20s if there was a lot going on in the sectors. Considering the A6 laptop above is only 1 year old and this laptop is creeping up on 3 years I expected it to perform less or about the same as the HP.​

Reaction score
    Athlon x2 4000+
    The rest of my PC is decent but dear god the frames with this proc is doom.

Soon to be upgraded to a FX 6300 though.

Reaction score
    I got starmade to run 15-30 fps on a Thinkpad x200 tablet with a core 2 duo L9400. It was running Linux Mint 17 and using Java 7.
    I turned everything to the lowest setting and set view distance to 250. The server was running on a different machine.
    Ships up to a few hundred mass are OK, but anything bigger is unusable. Even at 30 fps, it doesn't run smoothly though. I wouldn't want to play it on the tablet. I am very surprised it ran starmade at all though.

Reactions: MossyStone48
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Me:

Macbook air running on OS X Mavericks.

Intel core i5 with intel graphics hd 5000 and 4gb of ram.

runs at about 100 fps at the spawn with highest texture.