Being a drone while in build mode.

Do you like this idea?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Hello.

Recently, I've had a thought about an aesthetic changing thing for while the player is in build mode. To other players and if you zoom out while in build mode, you will see you are a drone. The drone you play as does not represent your player, but rather your player is controlling the drone.
    This drone looks like a repair or building drone, and when it goes through blocks it "cloaks" itself, for realism's sake.
    It's probably not a good idea to stalk other players as a drone, as they can kill you with their weapons. It costs money to buy a new drone (a GUI will ask you if you want to buy a new drone whenever you try to enter build mode and your drone is destroyed).
    If you use a build block you can repair everything, you can repair ships nearby the build block, repair space stations, fix blocks that are damaged like a repair beam, and even fix ships by placing blocks on them (a drone can only replace blocks that were destroyed by a weapon, explosives or salvage).
    Also, I wouldn't recommend going into build mode while in a fight, your drone will most likely get blown up if someone targets it.
    Because of the high-tech gravitational "tether" the drone has to your ship, it will not get left behind while you are flying through space. Your drone has very advanced thrusters and hovering technology and can go very fast.
    Your drone also has a laser, it can mine blocks on your ship instantly and can also mine blocks that are not on your ship, including other ships, but not instantly by any means. It also cannot go through any blocks that are not on your ship.
    Be careful not to go TOO far from your ship while controlling your drone! It will lose connection and you will have to get closer to it to start controlling it again.
    Drones only have about 50 health, so a good weapon could kill you instantly!
    Drones can only be destroyed by another player's weapon or another ship's weapon.

For players that do not like this feature, it could be toggled in the server.cfg file, if disabled (it is enabled by default) it will go back to the original build mode.

Please tell me what you think, and thanks much for reading all of this! While replying please remember to be kind and not bluntly say "Your idea sucks".

Because people seem to misunderstand the OP, here is some clarification:

If you want to use build mode to look around, maybe there should be a toggle-able option for drone damage (though I hate to keep using the "toggle-able" card). Or, you could simply use your smallness and speed to avoid enemy fire, most players likely won't attack your drone. Either way, the current build mode AND how people use it is unrealistic.
    Drones are slightly smaller than a block.
    It would not behave like a turret, it is basically a visual for build mode. The primary part of this idea is the aesthetics.
    Drones, like I have mentioned before, can only be destroyed by weapons shot directly at the drone, which is hard to do.
    Another idea I just had is the ability for a drone to activate a cloaking ability, it is invisible to everything and everybody for a time.
    Turrets ignore drones.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm not really liking the fact that scrolling out of your ship should be a drone, because it just seem that scrolling out or even a proper sort of 3rd person view should not need any other requirements, because you are just simply looking and nothing else. And having your drone get destructible makes it just tedious.
    However, I really like the idea of having a drone in build mode. When you add a block a little beam maybe goes from the drone to the place where you placed/removed a blocks, which makes so much more sense than being invisible and editing blocks.

Reaction score
    I'm not really liking the fact that scrolling out of your ship should be a drone, because it just seem that scrolling out or even a proper sort of 3rd person view should not need any other requirements, because you are just simply looking and nothing else. And having your drone get destructible makes it just tedious.
    However, I really like the idea of having a drone in build mode. When you add a block a little beam maybe goes from the drone to the place where you placed/removed a blocks, which makes so much more sense than being invisible and editing blocks.
    Exactly my point! I'm glad that you get what I'm saying.
    The destructible drone thing is to balance it out, and it makes more sense. Who sends a repair drone out during a raging fight with an enemy? The only way your drone can die is if it is attacked. If someone continues to kill your drone several times in a certain amount of time, your drone will be invincible for a while, or you can fly away from them.
    Also the only reason for zooming out is so you can see your droney-ness! No...? Maybe I'm the only one that likes to do that, oh well. Thanks for being kind.
    EDIT: By scrolling out to see yourself as a drone, this only happens in build mode. Not in any other mode.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Exactly my point! I'm glad that you get what I'm saying.
    The destructible drone thing is to balance it out, and it makes more sense. Who sends a repair drone out during a raging fight with an enemy? The only way your drone can die is if it is attacked. If someone continues to kill your drone several times in a certain amount of time, your drone will be invincible for a while, or you can fly away from them.
    Ah ok that makes sense, but I mean you could make a tiny radar jamming ship now to spy on people :D

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Hrmm, does seem interesting :p However there are quite a few that Use Build mode during Battle, since it provides a very good overview of your ship (Additional Bonus is that the Camera stays in a fixed position relative to your ship, unless you move it -w-).

And No, Simply Scrolling out and Left+Right shift isnt the same :u Since fighting when zoomed out like that is a royal pain, and generally takes a lot more effort. I dunno, Just wanted to point out that there are people who use Build mode offensively :p

Reaction score
    I like the aesthetic part, but I don't see the point in the mechanics part. (simply: drone yes, destroying no)

Reaction score
    I like it. This kind of mechanic can lead to maybe adding in actual ship yards and being able to control them as a whole.

I say yes to the idea, but I will add that i could use some more fleshing out.

Reaction score
    Hrmm, does seem interesting :p However there are quite a few that Use Build mode during Battle, since it provides a very good overview of your ship (Additional Bonus is that the Camera stays in a fixed position relative to your ship, unless you move it -w-).

And No, Simply Scrolling out and Left+Right shift isnt the same :u Since fighting when zoomed out like that is a royal pain, and generally takes a lot more effort. I dunno, Just wanted to point out that there are people who use Build mode offensively :p
    I am aware of this, I actually use it like this sometimes as well. I still don't get what people are talking about when I meant that you could zoom out. It is just like holding shift+mouse wheel to zoom out on your character or ship, nothing more. Also, when did I say that drones don't have a fixed camera? Did you read the entire OP? It talks about a tether.

I like the aesthetic part, but I don't see the point in the mechanics part. (simply: drone yes, destroying no)
    Hmm, did you read the above posts before yours? I'd like you to elaborate on why it is bad.

I like it. This kind of mechanic can lead to maybe adding in actual ship yards and being able to control them as a whole.

I say yes to the idea, but I will add that i could use some more fleshing out.
    Well, I was going to put a whole lot more in the OP (like battle drones), but it was really late, so I decided to finish quicker and go to bed.

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Tethering a Drone does not say it will remain in place :u Since I assume a Drone would be considered a separate Entity (would be the only way to make it hittable isnt it?), I figured it would behave like a Turret, with constant Stuttering as its position is updated and corrected -w- Which is fine if the ship isnt moving, but I was referring to In-battle (so moving).

And The Main Point is This; I use Camera to look around - I Don't want it to be easily destroyed. But that's considered a difference in Play-style more then anything. :u
    And yes you can Point at the "Optional" Bit and be all Smug, but that isn't as foolproof, As many servers would then Opt to Disable it (Or I assume so) Since it would hinder Both faction fleet battles (there are some) and Builders (Random "Griefers").

And as for the Other applications of Drones, I'm pretty sure you can already make a small 'Drone' that uses things like Astro-tech to repair. I dunno, it just seems like we A) Already have it, And your suggesting a change to it or B) Its a planned feature (like repairing destroyed blocks).

But what do I Know? *^*

SideNote; Pressing and Holding (cause its been bugged) both the Left and Right Shifts and then Moving the mouse Allows you yo rotate the camera around the ship, and is often used with Shift+Scroll :u I find it annoying simple cause I would have to waste time setting the camera.

Reaction score
    Tethering a Drone does not say it will remain in place :u Since I assume a Drone would be considered a separate Entity (would be the only way to make it hittable isnt it?), I figured it would behave like a Turret, with constant Stuttering as its position is updated and corrected -w- Which is fine if the ship isnt moving, but I was referring to In-battle (so moving).

And The Main Point is This; I use Camera to look around - I Don't want it to be easily destroyed. But that's considered a difference in Play-style more then anything. :u
    And yes you can Point at the "Optional" Bit and be all Smug, but that isn't as foolproof, As many servers would then Opt to Disable it (Or I assume so) Since it would hinder Both faction fleet battles (there are some) and Builders (Random "Griefers").

And as for the Other applications of Drones, I'm pretty sure you can already make a small 'Drone' that uses things like Astro-tech to repair. I dunno, it just seems like we A) Already have it, And your suggesting a change to it or B) Its a planned feature (like repairing destroyed blocks).

But what do I Know? *^*

SideNote; Pressing and Holding (cause its been bugged) both the Left and Right Shifts and then Moving the mouse Allows you yo rotate the camera around the ship, and is often used with Shift+Scroll :u I find it annoying simple cause I would have to waste time setting the camera.
    You can look around your ship still, like I said before, unless you have 1,000 pirates on your tail, I'm pretty sure your drone won't be destroyed.
    It seems to me that people are misunderstanding a lot of the OP, or not reading it thoroughly.

Here is some clarification:
    If you want to use build mode to look around, maybe there should be a toggle-able option for drone damage. Or, you could simply use your smallness and speed to avoid enemy fire, most players likely won't attack your drone. Either way, the current build mode AND how people use it is unrealistic.
    Drones are slightly smaller than a block.
    It would not behave like a turret, it is basically a visual for build mode. The primary part of this idea is the aesthetics.
    Drones, like I have mentioned before, can only be destroyed by weapons shot directly at the drone, which is hard to do.
    Another idea I just had is the ability for a drone to activate a cloaking ability, it is invisible to everything and everybody for a time.
    Turrets ignore drones.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    It is a cute idea as a "non-physics" aesthetic for the client side of the game, but not worth adding lag to the server. The current build mode is a non-physics free camera. What you suggest would require an entity be added and tracked by the server, the mechanics would be a lag beast if the server has do decide when you are or are not "cloaked", what can and cannot be passed through your lag spikes will go through the roof. As an example I have 23 decks on my main ship some decks take up 2 some 4 decks because their are docked ships in them, not always mine, that kind of off on yes no would be bad to try to handle for a single player, let alone 30 or 100.

Reaction score
    After consideration I am not sure what the mechanics of this would accomplish at all other than making you vulnerable while trying to build. You do realize that with careful planning and templates, you could conceivably single click repair entire sections of your without ever exposing your drone to space. Making the idea of it being destroyable mute if it never has to leave the ship.

Reaction score
    After consideration I am not sure what the mechanics of this would accomplish at all other than making you vulnerable while trying to build. You do realize that with careful planning and templates, you could conceivably single click repair entire sections of your without ever exposing your drone to space. Making the idea of it being destroyable mute if it never has to leave the ship.
    Y'know, this topic is around 5 months old. I don't really mind myself, but others do for some reason. But eh, it's fine.
    Anyway, my idea for this was really just an aesthetic of appearing to people as a drone in build mode instead of just being invisible with an optional gameplay change that I thought would work really well with some polish.

Reaction score
    Y'know, this topic is around 5 months old. I don't really mind myself, but others do for some reason. But eh, it's fine.
    Anyway, my idea for this was really just an aesthetic of appearing to people as a drone in build mode instead of just being invisible with an optional gameplay change that I thought would work really well with some polish.
    My bad I did not read the date on it. I was just looking for topics that sounded like they might have potentially good ideas. As I said the aesthetics would be a cute addition to the client side as an option just not the mechanics.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    It is a cute idea as a "non-physics" aesthetic for the client side of the game, but not worth adding lag to the server. The current build mode is a non-physics free camera. What you suggest would require an entity be added and tracked by the server, the mechanics would be a lag beast if the server has do decide when you are or are not "cloaked", what can and cannot be passed through your lag spikes will go through the roof. As an example I have 23 decks on my main ship some decks take up 2 some 4 decks because their are docked ships in them, not always mine, that kind of off on yes no would be bad to try to handle for a single player, let alone 30 or 100.
    how do you know it will cause lag? this is an extremely simple addition to the game, and if it does cause lag in some way, schema would find a way to combat it

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    how do you know it will cause lag? this is an extremely simple addition to the game, and if it does cause lag in some way, schema would find a way to combat it
    It wouldn't cause more lag than an additional entity. And if the "drone" would be nonphysical, it'd cause even less lag then every player switching to astronaut mode.

Reactions: aceface

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Resurrected threads are spooky. Anyhoo, I think this is a good idea, if only to give a spy a chance to be seen by those who are spying on them. Unless I'm mistaken, right now, you can use build mode and a healthy helping of patience to spy on players from any distance. At least with a ghostly drone avatar, the spy's target might be able to spot the spy.

Reaction score
    Oh man I am sorry Scottnov, I promise to read dates on these things from now on.

As to why and how more lag, I am not talking game crashing lag but an increase for sure, and performance reduction on the bottom end. I also can not say it with one hundred percent certainty. However, I have worked on code for other games and I do have a bit of an idea of how they generally work.

One problem is in build mode there is probably nothing for the server to track at present because it is only a pov. Your entity which is what the server watches is where ever you are,( ie. your ship or your build block). The camera can be unbound and free because the client makes a request for data from the server that the client then translates into a graphical image and shows it to you from your pov.

If you want the server to tell you where everyone has their camera, the server would need to create and track your cameras entity as well as your entity, so that doubles the work right there. I don't know if that makes any sense but in order for the server to display anything to anyone it has to track that data. Which the current build mod it most probably does not track, because that is a pov controlled by the client so no need to track where your camera is, just your entity.

It wont be earth shattering out the gate but it would be effectively doubling the entities you are taking up on the server.

Now, I did say it would be a cute addition to put on the client side, if aesthetics is what you want, there would be nothing affecting other players if your the only one seeing this little puppet. I for one would not want such a silly bubble blocking my view when I am building, and I find it hard to believe any serious builder would want to have a drone bobbing in and out of view while they are working.

So in conclusion, as an aesthetic yes it is an acceptable as an "option" which I can choose to forgo. However, I also cannot help but notice this seems less and less like an attempt to support an aesthetic idea, and more of a way to track people who abuse the build mode. If that is the true goal I am sensing I would suggest you have a conversation with the admin of your server, (who can see where everyone is and would be able to figure out if someone is spying on you), rather than suggest more work than necessary for an "aesthetic" drone.