Axis Orbiting

Reaction score
    I would love to have the ability to orbit around a target. Maybe bind it to a key and once you have something targeted your ship would then orbit around it based on how close you are when the key is first pressed and what axis your ship is moving on. This could eventually lead to many cool AI implementations such mining drones that orbit an asteroid or combat drones that orbit around another ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    This would be pretty cool, and would make for more interesting-looking homebases.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Orbiting defensive platforms? Orbiting moons? Orbiting rings? Asteroids? Patrol ships? Comm satellites? Missile-firing giant cheeseburgers? Cloaked mine deathtraps? Drones? Giant faction ball moons? Death stars? Death cars? Infinite possibilities in infinite combinations. +1 to this idea.

Reactions: z1967
    Reaction score
    This idea could help make things look even cooler and make for more interesting gameplay. I like it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    This might be a lag inducing effect too. Server having to recalculate the orbit of a object around a planet constantly.

But considering new planets will be segmented I can see where an orbital d1000 turret array might help insure mutual peace among all inhabitants of the planets surface! :P

Reaction score
    This might be a lag inducing effect too. Server having to recalculate the orbit of a object around a planet constantly.

But considering new planets will be segmented I can see where an orbital d1000 turret array might help insure mutual peace among all inhabitants of the planets surface! :p
    I don't think it would cause much lag. I envisioned it as a one time calculation that would take place as the button is pressed to determine the radius that you orbit from with the center being the target you have locked. See I was thinking that your orbit path would be a linear circle along 1 axis. Sure you could go at angles not just leveled on the axis but you wouldn't be able to adjust the orbit path without turning the feature off then adjust the path and re-enable it.

very cool - similar to eve
    Yeah i had Eve Online in mind when I thought up this idea.

Reaction score
    This is a very neat idea. As others have said, the possibilities are immense. I think this could be easy to implement as well. KSP has essentially the same thing except you have to manually get into orbit and align yourself. Its definitely do-able.