Autopilot/Auto-drive Experiments

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Any news on an autopilot?

For a few months now, I've been experimenting with using the push effect method for what I refer to as auto-drive, rather than autopilot. I pretty much point a ship in a direction and let the push effect take over. Naturally, this is limited to travelling in one direction, unless you hit something. Great for missiles though. Sadly, falling out of the ship even in gravity or aligned tends to happen.

So far, I have refined my method in my ships which is fun for the time that I'm in the ship, but when I send a ship off on its own it stops just outside the range of the sector that a player occupies.

I understand there is a counter in the config file of a server that you can configure activity to cease for sectors. I have yet to try increasing this to see if it would make a difference and was wondering if I'm wasting my time here.

I would like for the ship to continue on it's voyage without a pilot into deep space. I have built in sensors that stop the push effect on collision, but since the ship stops when nobody is looking anyway, it's rather redundant.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this work?
    I will give config file a try when I get a minute. Tonight maybe. Should be interesting.

I could post my ship, logic and experimental designs here, but I'm not sure where I should post these. My ships are nothing fancy. Mainly function over aesthetics.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    So far push beams are the only way I can think of total control over direction. The issue is right now you need an insane amount of logic to control direction a bit more.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    When you say "push beams", are you referring to the push effect modules?
    I didn't think they had directional capability. Has this been added recently?
    If so, I'm more than happy to use it.

Only drama for me now is, allowing a ship to be fully automated. I can do it if I create a random user on my server and have him tag along for the ride, but that's not really what I want. It just wastes a user slot.