Automatically Closing Doors With Sensor?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Okay, I hate to admit that this is getting the best of me, but... its getting the best of me.

I'm trying to make what should be a fairly simple circuit. Use the sensor block to determine when a plex door is open, and close it after a delay.

But for the life of me I cannot seem to get it to do this reliably. It either works every other time, or it throws the door into spasms as it oscillates back and forth.

Anyone have a good example I can look at?

Reaction score
    Okay, I hate to admit that this is getting the best of me, but... its getting the best of me.

I'm trying to make what should be a fairly simple circuit. Use the sensor block to determine when a plex door is open, and close it after a delay.

But for the life of me I cannot seem to get it to do this reliably. It either works every other time, or it throws the door into spasms as it oscillates back and forth.

Anyone have a good example I can look at?
    Rather than useing the sensor on the door, try hooking up area sensors just beyond the door that can trigger an activation mod attached to the door.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Rather than useing the sensor on the door, try hooking up area sensors just beyond the door that can trigger an activation mod attached to the door.
    I can do that.
    Quick and Easy Picture Tutorial: Automatic Doors

I'm wanting to figure out how to make it so that I can manually open the door and have it re-close on it's own. Area sensors and the like work for anyone walking through them, I'd like to make security doors that faction members can open normally that close behind them (without having to resort to adding buttons to open said doors).

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    best way ive found is to use activation gates linked to rail doors and a block of delays which in turn trigger the doors closing.

edit: gave up on plex / blast / forcefield doors as it never worked out similar to yourself.

Reactions: Stormraven

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    best way ive found is to use activation gates linked to rail doors and a block of delays which in turn trigger the doors closing.

edit: gave up on plex / blast / forcefield doors as it never worked out similar to yourself.
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one to have problems with a pure logic answer!

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I made a 3x3 circuit that closes a door 1.5-2 seconds after you open it. Just hook up the sensor to one door, and the flipflop to all the doors.

I had to cheat and use instant pulses, but it does its job.

Attachments

Reaction score
    I made a 3x3 circuit that closes a door 1.5-2 seconds after you open it. Just hook up the sensor to one door, and the flipflop to all the doors.

I had to cheat and use instant pulses, but it does its job.
    I still can't seem to find info on (or really understand) instant pulses. I read about them all the time, and how they can make clocks faster, but I can't seem to find an explanation or tutorial.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I still can't seem to find info on (or really understand) instant pulses. I read about them all the time, and how they can make clocks faster, but I can't seem to find an explanation or tutorial.
    I might make a guide on them sometime. Essentially, they are what their name entails - pulses which are instant. Basically by using some logic (mostly with flipflops and activators, but some other things work as well.) you can make it so that the visual output of a system is constant while the behind the curtains system is going nuts.

With the circuit I posted, I am abusing an instant pulse with the three leftmost blocks in the picture. The delay goes into the button and the flipflop, so when it turns on, it toggles the flipflop into a low state, and activates the button. This is the interesting bit though, the button also goes into the flipflop, making it so that it toggles back into a high state. To the user, it looks like the flipflop is never toggled, and it is constantly in the high state. To the game though, for a brief period of time, the flipflop was in the low state.

I don't really have a name for this kind of instant pulse, but I'd like to come up with some classification system. I think I'm going to call it a Genus 11 instant pulse; one where only one high pulse is produced when a high state is introduced, and nothing happens on the low state. A Genus 21 instant pulse would be one where when either state is introduced a single instant pulse is produced. Genus 21 instant pulses are typically what you use to make clocks faster, because when you introduce one to the output of any clock, you effectively double its speed. (This only applies for weapons, jump drives and jump drive inhibitors, since visually it will always either look on or off.) And for reference, a Genus 22 instant pulse would be one where two instant pulses are produced with any input.

Besides Genus 1 and 2, there's a whole other subset of logic behavior that people call instant pulses. This is usually used to make complex rail motions and display block shenanigans. This is the part that's really hard to explain in a short way, but an explanation is that logic propagates through gates in specific ways, one at a time, and will never re-propogate through a gate in the sequence. (Think of how if you connected an activator to a not and looped the not back into the activator - you wouldn't have an insanely fast instant pulse based clock, you'd just have an activator you can turn on and off, and a not that essentially does nothing.)

To refer back to the start though, I do intend to make a guide to instant pulses. What I've said here barely scratches the surface, it's difficult to comprehend, and it's not even a particularly good way of thinking about instant pulses. Nag me about this if I don't do it in the next week or something.

Reactions: Stormraven
    Reaction score
    You can also use a rail clock to sense the door is open and close it after a delay.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Sounds like you just need a reliable way to sen an "on" signal. If I remember correctly, the "or" block sends a new blue pulse whenever it gets a fresh blue signal. or was it the "and" block? Either way, I think one of them can act as decent signal filter you can use to reliably send a "closed" blue signal to doors.

Reaction score
    I used a rail clock to detect when the door has been opened manually. The rail clock can reliably detect when the door is open, and when it is closed. This was before sensor blocks when there was no way to do it with just logic.