Astronaut Movement overhaul

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    As you may have already noticed, the movement axes or whatever in astronaut mode are a little weird. What I mean is, the directions you move are relative to where you are looking, which results in you not being able to move forwards or backwards whenever you look up or down in a 90° angle. Also when you hit the "E" key to get up (I've changed mine to spacebar) and you look up or down you seem to be floating backwards or forwards.

This makes sense, when you are not in a gravitational field, but just floating in space. But when you are on you ship, or in build mode it is a little weird looking down on my ship and having to press spacebar to move forward and "W" to move down towards it.

Also when you are not in build mode but in a gravitational field, you can't build pillars in the famous minecraft "jump and build underneath" style, because you would jump of the pillar by looking down at it.

So please align the movement to the gravitational pole.

And on an unrelated topic, there are a lot of controls, that can't be changed like moving faster in build mode. Other controls can be changed, but nothing changes. For example left ctrl is rotate ship and it won't change >.<

Reaction score
    Additionally, we need a way to roll the character when outside of a gravity field. It can be really hard to get around inside ships when your astronaut is always oriented up with respect to the world and the ship you are in is at some weird angle. On big ships it\'s easy enough to build large hallways, but on small ships this isn\'t an option.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    And also that weird camera alignment when you are near a ship has to stop. The way it is now, when you are near a ship and press spacebar to go up (Though I don\'t know for others since I changed the controls a little) it aligns your camera to the ship, which is nice, but makes you think your character is aligned, too, which he is not, which sucks. So either keep the auto alignment AND flip the character as well, or don\'t rotate anything and let the player rotate himself :P

But being able to rotate yourself would in either case be an essential addition to the game.

Reaction score
    If you press space, the game will orient the character\'s axis to the nearest object, such as the space station or ship you\'re trying to navigate. Gravity units solve this problem as well.

I still wouldn\'t mind having the player movements work more like ship movement, though.

Reaction score
    Yeah, i found this very helpful. No longer needing to orient ships to base rotation with C key. Might not work if you rebind space to upwards moving, check the keybindings.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    So there\'s another problem I have. I can\'t change the bindings for certain keys, which I would want to change, like spacebar to align your camera or shift to move faster in build mode..
    They should change that aswell.