Asteroid Size option?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    It could probably easily implemented. I have heard that we might see the occasional massive asteroid in the future. Not all of the cool features of the universe are here yet.

Reactions: jpf190279
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I would really like to see this too, pretty badly if it isn't already in the works. I'd also like to see a mean and deviation for asteroids, just like with planets. Maybe some option to claim and build on them as well. I think a lot of us want asteroid bases that aren't so easily distinguishable from stock asteroids.

Reactions: Mariux and Vanderon
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    You guys read my mind. I don't dislike the small ones, but I'd love to see some massive ones once in a while that I can build on or in.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    We can have them varied in sizes, similarily to planets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    It's not necessarily the size of the asteroids that interest me. With the introduction of the asteroid belts I was really hoping to see continuous belts of asteroids spilling off from one sector to another creating navigational hazards. Instead we get about 3-8 rocks floating in a tight pack in the middle of a sector long out of sight of the neighbouring sectors asteroids.

Come on give its asteroid BELTS, I went to have fighter battles while playing chicken with the rocks. ;)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    It's not necessarily the size of the asteroids that interest me. With the introduction of the asteroid belts I was really hoping to see continuous belts of asteroids spilling off from one sector to another creating navigational hazards. Instead we get about 3-8 rocks floating in a tight pack in the middle of a sector long out of sight of the neighbouring sectors asteroids.

Come on give its asteroid BELTS, I went to have fighter battles while playing chicken with the rocks. ;)

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...-would-actually-be-quite-safe-to-fly-through/

Seriously though. If you want dogfights in a debris cloud, then we should have actual debris clouds - scrap metal bits and pieces, broken hull plates, etc. At least it would make sense for those to be in the same general area, since we have physics dampening, and presumably at least SOME magnets inside the bits of pieces of ships.

Mine it and get scrap alloy+composite, yo.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index...-would-actually-be-quite-safe-to-fly-through/

Seriously though. If you want dogfights in a debris cloud, then we should have actual debris clouds - scrap metal bits and pieces, broken hull plates, etc. At least it would make sense for those to be in the same general area, since we have physics dampening, and presumably at least SOME magnets inside the bits of pieces of ships.

Mine it and get scrap alloy+composite, yo.
    Ok, but consider the following- Starmade is not very realistic. Why couldn't we have both?

Reaction score

I'd like that too, but the sector load times and the collision detection would both be major problems.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'd like that too, but the sector load times and the collision detection would both be major problems.
    There wouldn't need to be too many more, just have the current ones spread out more within their sector, and not clustered in the center.

I assume asteroids cluster in the center because their spawning is still with the old sector size in mind.

Reaction score
    There wouldn't need to be too many more, just have the current ones spread out more within their sector, and not clustered in the center.

I assume asteroids cluster in the center because their spawning is still with the old sector size in mind.
    Um, in that case, instead of having groups of asteroids together, you'd just have lone asteroids floating in space by themselves (far from all the other asteroids).

I thought you wanted something like an "asteroids field sector", where (e.g.) the sector is split up into 250m * 250m * 250m zones with an asteroid in each zone; where (for 5 km sectors) you end up with 20*20*20 = 8000 asteroids per "asteroid field sector".

Then I thought you wanted asteroid belts, where you have a ring of these "asteroids field sectors"; so that the end result looks a little bit like this:

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Um, in that case, instead of having groups of asteroids together, you'd just have lone asteroids floating in space by themselves (far from all the other asteroids).
    In a 5k sector, having the asteroids spread out through the sector instead of clustered within the boundaries of a 1k sector would not make them seem alone. You'd still be near all the others.

Reaction score
    In a 5k sector, having the asteroids spread out through the sector instead of clustered within the boundaries of a 1k sector would not make them seem alone. You'd still be near all the others.
    With (e.g.) 8 asteroids spread evenly in a 5km sector, you'd have a 2*2*2 grid of asteroids, and the distance from the centre of one asteroid to the centre of its nearest neighbour would be 5km/2 or 2500m.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    With (e.g.) 8 asteroids spread evenly in a 5km sector, you'd have a 2*2*2 grid of asteroids, and the distance from the centre of one asteroid to the centre of its nearest neighbour would be 5km/2 or 2500m.
    Ok, that's easily solved by just increasing the number of asteroids per asteroid belt sector.

Reaction score
    couldn't they have the core of the belt be one object, that gives useless salvage like the new space stations do? with physics like planets instead of asteroids so they lag less. then, around the main belt, would be the normal asteroids. you could mine them, and they would float and rotate. you'd be able to weave and dodge around in both the large inner field, and the moving field, but the game wouldn't have to render physics for thousands of moving bodies.

I'd have it as a type of system that is otherwise void of mineable planets and the normal asteroids. maybe it has a special star that does damage farther out, so you actually need to stick close to the asteroids. possibly deep down in the core of the belt there are some rare spawns of ore. The challenge being having a ship small enough to navigate, thus limitin gthe shielding so you'd have to watch out for the sunlight right?

or, alternatively, what if some asteroids were gigantic, but made up of smaller pieces? or giant ones with more small pieces nearby. large enough gaps to fly through.

oorrrr it could be an alien race! an abandoned creepy space station with tons of weird asteroids around it and you have to fly a small ship thru the gaps to reach the station and maybe it has active turrents so you have to fly in and dock without getting blasted and disable the turrents from inside.

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I just wish the size and amount of asteroids scaled with sector size. On the NFD build server sectors are 45km wide.