Armor Damage Threshold

Reaction score
    Another suggestion, since the idea of ammo doesn't fare too well with the community.

I was test-firing these new weapons, and I realized that my 1000 damage cannons would only do about 750 damage to regular hull, and even less to hardened. As you may or may not know, this is actually pretty unrealistic. If I shot a .308 round (das right 'murican) at a 2cm piece of plywood up against a hunk of meat, it would go straight through with little resistance. Then I realized that if I recreated that same situation, but instead shoot it with a pellet gun, it would stop at the piece of wood.

My suggestion is that hulls will have a damage threshold, set pretty high so it won't be too OP, where it would crumble and not have the armor effect anymore. This would make punch-through modules much more deadly, and add a degree of realism to the game.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Keynesian
    Reaction score
    Wouldn't that make smaller weapon arrays completely useless? I like the current system of damage mitigation, and frankly I think it needs to be expanded upon, but damage thresholds are not the way to go. Shields used to have a damage threshold, and the game has benefited immensely since its removal.

Reaction score
    I was also thinking of adding a degree of ballistics into the equation as well, for example, if your AMC punched through a ship's hull, damaged systems, but didn't have enough damage to penetrate the other side, it would ricochet inside the enemy ship. However, seeing that your weapon would need to have more than 100 damage left, the idea is in vain.

Reaction score
    Wouldn't that make smaller weapon arrays completely useless? I like the current system of damage mitigation, and frankly I think it needs to be expanded upon, but damage thresholds are not the way to go. Shields used to have a damage threshold, and the game has benefited immensely since its removal.
    No, it wouldn't. It would just react as it normally would, the hull taking a percentage of damage away as it hits. What I'm saying is that bigger weapons would punch through hull like its a shield block or whatever. Mind you, it the damage it takes for the projectile to punch through without a damage tax would have to be at least above 1500 for regular hull and twice that for hardened.