Area Types(Nebula etc.)

Reaction score
    I wanted to open a thread about area types in space. So I did it and my suggestions would be nebulas and areas where wrecks are drifting through space.

The nebulas could be stretched over multiple sectors and some of them could be an electromagnetic storm that could interfere with your sensors and starmap. The effect should be enemies indicated where no enemies are and so on.

PS: Feel free to post any other things concerning this topic here.

Reaction score
    I like the nebula idea, but physical wrecks floating through space would be a performance drag. I definitely want nebulas. Secret factions can stay there and hide their homebase.

Reaction score
    This would be great, especially the scale of it stretching over several systems. However, I disagree with the part about enemies being indicated where they\'re not. That\'d just be confusing. Maybe instead make the indication range much shorter? Or rely fully on visuals?

Reaction score
    I don\'t think electromagnetic storms should come from nebulas, but from stars, as is in real life. It should be harder to pick up radar signals near a star, so one could hide close into a star, albeit losing all of their radar, and their shields slowly drain away.

Perhaps another area could be one between solar systems which would be just void, maybe with the occasional Rogue Planet or asteroid field

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    We talked about this a couple times but never got round to actually posting it here. Nebulas that block all sensors would be great, however, the fake enemy signatures would be more of an annoyance than a fun mechanic I feel.

Also, brisarge brings up a possible performance hit with debrisfields, that\'s completely dependant on how big you make \'em, if you have like 5-10 small ships and a couple of big ones, your performance won\'t differ from any other area like asteroids or a planet.

I really like Mercur1c\'s idea of the sun producing interference too, have the sun completely blind anyone that gets too close right before the damage starts hitting and make lensflare from the sun come from the edges of the thing, this way you\'ll be able to visually hide near it if your oponent is facing the sun and you.

Reaction score
    Also, nebulas should be very big, and contain stars that appear younger - less/no planets, disk around them (Also planets with rings) etc.

The stars should also have varied interference, in two ways:

• Certain stars have more radar interference, making the radar flicker more and more, and perhaps making false signatures - of varied types, not necessarily enemies - that only appear for a short time. Also, the HUD (Crosshair, targets, not the menus) should flicker at certain levels.
    • Stars have phases of interference, sometimes the star has more, and sometimes less. Perhaps solar flares could happen at the higher interference periods that can reach planets, but only come out a certain angle, and are rare, so it is unlikely to get hit by one. These periods of interference would be predictable with special blocks (special telescope?).

Reaction score
    space was looking empty without any space anomalys so. i agree to this Nebula idea plus i personaly agree to the space wrecks of destroyed ships too but i have to be with Brisarge on this one cause it actually could be a performance drag