Anyway to manually make the ship's turning speed faster?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, I currently am having issues with my small mothership's turning speed. Is there anyway I can change the turning speed for the sever?

I want to unbalance the server for my friends. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I believe that more engines will increase turning speed. The HMS Lunar II is at a mass of over 40,000, but it has so many Hypercoil Thrusters that it turns like a frigate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Well, you said it yourself: Small Mothership. The Lunar II has somewhere in the range of 600 or 700, and that is probably a pretty low estimate. Slap on enough engines, and the thing will fly like a fighter. A giant planet-cracking fighter.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Okay, I will try that. I will post if there is more problems.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It hasn\'t worked, I attatched like 300-400 more and only the speed changed. I need to fix the turning speed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    As far as I know it only the mass effects the turning speed. You have to make the ship lighter in order for it to maneuver faster.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    @ttemp

I know, I looked into it. Is there anyway to edit this?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I\'m pretty sure there is SOME effect based off of thrusters. After all, how would a ship weighing 40,000 turn faster than my old 100 ton destroyer?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    no, thrusters doesnt help, turning speed is really not balanced at all on big ships, 1 min to turn lol...

Reaction score
    adding thrusters does in fact help. i have tested it, make sure you have enough power to make use of the thrusters or its like not adding anything

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Large ship need more thrust to move, and also need lots of power to fire all those engines at once. I attempted to try this and not sure if it worked or not but i took a REALLY long ship over 1500 and placed engines in all three ship movment axis and it started to turn fast than just the eninges at the back. At the time i did not think much aboot it.

Maybe more people can try to do this and find out for sure if adding thrusters in postions to aid in turning WILL improve turn speed of i was just high on life once more and just seen things again...

Reaction score
    I did have tons of thrusters to make a Titan shoot off like a bullet but it turns very bad the key to make a ship turn is its shape I had one TITAN that I modified by it shape and it turned a lot more faster try and test that out

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Experiments and results:

60 mass, 100m long, controlled from core/center 0 thrust: ~12 seconds to do a 360

60 mass, cube shaped, controlled from core/center, 0 thrust: ~12 seconds to do a 360

60 mass, cube shaped with 237.3 thrust controlled from core/center: ~12 seconds for a 360.

60 Mass, 100m long, controlled from core/center, 237.7 thrust: ~12 seconds

60 mass, 100m long, controlled from core/center, Side facing thrusters at the far points of the \"ship\": (odd note, the animation for the engines still points to the rear despite making sure thruster is facing sideways) ~12 seconds

60 mass, 100m long, 237.3 thrust Controlled from the cockpit at front of ship: ~12 seconds

60 mass, 100m long, 237.3 thrust, Controlled from rear of ship: (rather disorienting controlling from the rear) ~12 seconds.

Conclusion: the only thing that matters for turning (as of the time of this posting) is the mass of the ship. Not where you control, nor how much thrust you have.

Hopefully the turning physics will be improved, either by adding \"Maneuvering thrusters\" or making turning physics be based off of thrust/mass so you can design more maneuverability or more shields/weapons/whatever into your ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    A simpler method than calculating engine position compared to the core and facing, or adding another block type may be to simply change from using total mass to mass/thrust in the turn speed calculation. Obviously some tweaking in the code would need to be done to use this smaller number but that should be simple. Thrusters have diminishing returns as far as I can tell so while using mass/thrust super massive ships shouldn\'t ever be able to be as maneuverable as much smaller ships.

With this system you could add more engines, upping your thrust, to increase turn rate. Or you could choose to be more powerful in other ways.

A more complicated calculation should be used so \"fighters/bombers\" turn faster even with an equivalent mass/thrust ratio to a \"titan\". For example my current fighter is 147.5 mass (not counting turrets, I\'m not sure if they add to the total mass) and it has 204 thrust so that ratio is .723. With the current system it takes ~25 seconds for this ship to do a 360. I\'d like that to be around 10 seconds I think (I\'d need to play with it, but with this system a ship could be easily customized to turn at a rate you like, within reason). However if a ship had 72303 mass and 10,000 thrust it would also have a .723 mass/thrust ratio; but it shouldn\'t be able to turn as fast as the fighter, so some sort of consideration must be taken to prevent titans from turning like fighters.

Maybe a tier system: 0-300 mass = fighter, 301-600 = bomber and so on, each with it\'s own configurable speed multiplier. These are totally off the top of my head so feel free to suggest different tiers, or make them configurable (I love messing with config files). So a \"fighter\" could have a tier rating of 1 giving a calculation of (147.5/204)*1 so a .723 ratio. Whereas the \"titan\" could have a tier rating of .5 giving a calculation of (72303/10000)*.5 equaling a .3615 ratio. Then maybe make the ratio be 36 degrees per second * the ratio, giving my \"fighter\" a turn rate of 26.028 degrees per second. That would make it take ~14 seconds to turn 360 degrees. The \"titan\" would therefore turn at 13 degrees per second or one rotation per 28 seconds (that seems fast, maybe make the tier smaller?). Again, these are off the top of my head number that seem to work so if you have better ideas I\'m open to suggestions.

Edit: I\'m a derp, this only works if thrust>mass, would someone fix my math, while I go study for my trig test because I obviously need to >.>

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Having engines provide turn ratio increase based on how far they are relative to ships mass center would be ideal, but also instead of additional blocks the orientation of thrusters could pay big role. Add some thrusters that point to sides, up and down to produce thrust to those directions. This could also be used to force ships to have breaks.

In this scheme, you could have ships that can strafe efficiently. Or have long haulers that are fast but do not turn in blink of an eye. Designs where thrusters are placed like those you see on X-wings for extra distance from ship without adding too much mass or make the ship too big of an target.