Anyone know why putting in a new graphics card breaks sound on Windows 8.1?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling BOTH the audio and graphics drivers? Did you check the "resources" tab of the card in config for conflicts with other IRQ/DMA ?

Reaction score
    Because Microsoft went to shit ever since Ballsack totally took over.

Also thy already want you to upgrade to 10.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm guessing when you installed the new drivers, the system set the GPU HDMI audio out to default.
    Simply change it back.
    Right click on your volume control, click playback devices, and select the one that isn't HDMI.

If no devices show, make sure you have 'show disabled/unplugged devices' checked.

If they still don't show up, go for a crawl through the device manager to see if there are any conflicting drivers.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    My family seems to think I accidentally unplugged an audio thing inside when I changed graphics cards

Reaction score
    My family seems to think I accidentally unplugged an audio thing inside when I changed graphics cards
    Very unlikely. Even if I would deem it likely to accidentally unplug something (most plugs have a safeguard thingie) in there, this would still require you to have a dedicated sound card, which you probably don't have. Did you try what Crusade suggested?

Reaction score
    If it's an AMD card a lot of the newer ones come with built in audio processors for their new "True Audio" stuff, check your outputs and make sure that it's not defaulting to one of the card newer outputs.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Nah its a Sapphire Toxic R9 270

Reaction score
    I think Jon meant an ATI card. A lot of the newer cards will cause CCC to get a little finicky.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    so your hd 3200 has the mark of an "issue" open it up and look for resource conflicts

Reaction score
    You may need to reenable the OnBoard Audio in your Bios. I had a similar issue when I upgraded my Video cards. My BIOS decided to disable the OnBoard audio in favor of the Video Card's Audio. (Note: I have a UEFI Bios, so if yours is older, this might not apply.)

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I got it fixed. Drivers deactivated themselves and moved somewhere they shouldn't have