Any advice for Beginners?

Reaction score
    So I just heard about this game yesterday and I love the concept, but im not sure what to do exactly. I know what most ship blocks do and what purpose they serve and all... Im wondering how most of you started off, the biggest problem I have is that I'll build a ship, waste some of my credits, then 20 pirate assholes come by and completely obliterate me. I don't have enough creds to start off with to build too big of a ship without needing some more credits, and using the scavenger cannon usually only gets me around 100 per ore if that, at a slow rate.

So what I need to know is:

-How to start off

-How to fend off pirates

-How people obtain the money to build decent ships to fight

CES

Reaction score
    Pirates will not attack near shops. Pirates will not attack cloaked ships. Salvaging gives a lot of money, but the cannons become less efficient the more are in a stack. If things on multiplayer get tough, I strongly recommend the Lazarus Imperium. Also, if single player pirates are a problem, get a really weak blueprint for them.

Reaction score
    I don\'t get how to avoid pirates by cloaking though, you can get cloaking but the pirates start chasing me before I even see their markers, and when I try to cloak away, it only lasts about 5 seconds maximum, and then they start chasing me again, I can outrun them (after about 10 mins) to the point I won\'t see their markers anymore and think it\'s fine, and then they appear again and start chasing me till im dead. Sometimes even more will come along to the point there\'s about 20 of them all chasing me.

What are these blueprints you speak of? I don\'t know what it is exactly.

Reaction score
    • Cloaking: Cloaking takes a dedicated, designed ship and is not practical when first learning the game.
    • Running: You are only really safe when you cannot see any red markers on your \'N\'avigation screen. This view shows ships whose markers are not displayed while flying.
    • Blueprints: A quick way to disable pirates is to go to your Catalog screen, click admin and then find the \'Isanth-VI\' entry (should be the only one). Then, press \'permissions\' and uncheck \'enemy\'.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
    cloacking is viable, don\'t be scared by energy requirement.

energy generator in the game work in a different way: to cloack you need to get the most energy out of them and thus you need to arrang them in a contiguous single line of blocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g-O8VWOZWE

the more the mass, the more the energy cloaking requires so just add minimum truster and salvage cannons until you salvage enough of a space station to build a ship fast, with 100k shields and loads of turrets.

http://www.starmadewiki.com/wiki/Tutorials/Generator

Reaction score
    if you are new to the game its a good idea to read the wiki to understand the game mechanics. Especially the power mechanics. is common problem for new players

LoS already put the link about power generators

without knowing how the game and ship mechanics work its impossible to make something bigger than a couple of blocks work

and pirates don\'t scale with skill level so if you are new to the game then its better to turn them off

Reaction score
    Join a good faction, one with a teamspeak that has members active regulary whose brains you can pick and ask questions to, essentially be trained. most large factions have large military bases that are more then well equiped to keep pirates away. but becareful not to be dragged into that factions politics, a lot of factions Including my own are regulary dragged into random wars and that means a lot of your hard work could be vaunrable to espionage or stright up attack.

http://star-made.org/content/dirae-crucem-industries

http://star-made.org/content/void-templar-fear-not-death-you-have-lived-honor

are Two such factions that are both active, neutral, capable and keep comms.

Reaction score
    1. Watch the tutorial videos, they answer a lot of first time questions.

http://www.starmadewiki.com/wiki/Tutorials/Beginner%27s_Guide

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Then I discovered build block and felt cheated and used like a one night stand picked up from a truck stop.

• Forbidden in most RP servers.

Rememeber that 2 2 2 is spawn and go get lost,

• You can also do a suicide to get back to spawn (but most times lose 10% credits only if the server is running with default settings)
    • sometimes spawn is 0 0 0 or 50 50 50.
    • but most times it is 2 2 2