Anti-Lag Changes to Salvaging Planets

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think you shouldn't be able to salvage or build block planets. Instead, I'd like a Mining Station you could put on a planet to extract the ore from it, which could have the speed increased with Mining Enhancers. You'd need one for each plate, and it would take quite a lot of time unless you used a lot of enhancers, which would also use power, so you'd need to set up a power plant on the planet.

I think to balance build blocks on planets (so people can still build things and terraform), unless that planet has been claimed for a certain amount of time, you should only be able to place and remove single blocks.

Also, relating to this, are shields and power shared among plates of a planet? Because they should be.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Interesting, but I would have to disagree~
    I've tried building on planets (old ones at least) a few times and being able to only place 1 block at a time would be a disaster :u Not even touching Flattening.
    Imagine trying to build a ship 1 block at a time (500-600m long battleship at that).

Also, What people tend to overlook, is there is more then just Ores on planets o -o
    Terrain, Trees and Flowers are all needed for Gardens on Space stations, whereas Rocks can be used as detailing on ships (Since the provide a different texture~). That stuff is used, and would be annoying to spend 30-60 mins collecting the amount I'd need for a small patch of grass or a decorative plate.

I dunno~ Just something people like to not notice o -o

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Interesting, but I would have to disagree~
    I've tried building on planets (old ones at least) a few times and being able to only place 1 block at a time would be a disaster :u Not even touching Flattening.
    Imagine trying to build a ship 1 block at a time (500-600m long battleship at that).

Also, What people tend to overlook, is there is more then just Ores on planets o -o
    Terrain, Trees and Flowers are all needed for Gardens on Space stations, whereas Rocks can be used as detailing on ships (Since the provide a different texture~). That stuff is used, and would be annoying to spend 30-60 mins collecting the amount I'd need for a small patch of grass or a decorative plate.

I dunno~ Just something people like to not notice o -o
    If you'd controlled a planet for long enough, you would still be able to. Maybe the longer you've controlled a planet, the more blocks you can place at a time? Like, you control a planet for a day, you can go up to 2x2x2, then 3x3x3, ect. However, it'd cost faction points, and you wouldn't get them back if you scrapped the planet as soon as possible.

Terrain can be purchased at shops, it is not required to build block or salvage a planet to get it and the plants that go along.

Rocks and plenty of other things can be obtained from asteroids without the server killing lag caused by people build blocking a planet.

This wouldn't change build blocks on everything, ships and stations would still be fine. It's just planets that would have these outlined changes.

Reactions: CyberTao

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Sometimes a planet is much closer then the shop :p
    But that would work I suppose~

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    to extract the ore from it
    If I don't have a wrong view upon how an entity is structured internally(for the engine), extraction would increase lag as the ore blocks would have to be located first. Which is why I recommed, that a mining station can only extract from a limited area(and mining area enhancers enhance that area), to reduce the amount of blocks, that have to be checked.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    If I don't have a wrong view upon how an entity is structured internally(for the engine), extraction would increase lag as the ore blocks would have to be located first. Which is why I recommed, that a mining station can only extract from a limited area(and mining area enhancers enhance that area), to reduce the amount of blocks, that have to be checked.
    That could work.

Also, another solution would have it search limited sections of the planet at a time (say a 10x10xhowever-deep-the-planet-is), and once there is no ore left in that section, move to another.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Uuugh, i can't decide how i want the mining system to work :(

Current one is very simple one, you want something - you need to mine it, which is perfectly logical and i'm pretty fine with this, but it leads to ugly, stripped (or even eaten) planets and tons of dirt in inventory, but on the other hand, mining leading to devastation of the planet and giving us more useless blocks than the one we are looking for is kinda realistic, but then it's not very fun for the gameplay, but i kinda expect some difficulties from the game, so it would be more challenging and enjoyable, but i'm not sure if millions of dirt blocks in inventory is a challenge as we can simply throw them away, but then there is (will be?) better recipes system, which could use this "useless" dirt.

And also there is lag, mining other blocks than ores (wood, sand, etc.) and mobility.

I just can't decide what i want, i'll go play and think about it for some time, maybe something will come to my mind :)

Reaction score
    Oh great, salvage cannons have no use now instead of very little!
    Why don't we just have it so you can only put build blocks on planets your faction owns? That means salvage cannons have some use.

Reaction score
    Well, personally I like the progression of Asteroid --> Planet Mining, and would like to see some more love given to those little chunks of rock floating between the stars.(maybe giving them a higher ore to crap ratio?)

If the game had the ability to tell the difference between player placed blocks and natural blocks(I think Ender Men from Minecraft can) then you could simply ask it not to let players mass delete natural blocks until X time has been passed, (or a massive payment in faction points to speed it along.)

Just a thought, take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Darth Cestual

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Oh great, salvage cannons have no use now instead of very little!
    Actually, they have more use now, because people have more reason to build salvagers and mine asteroids instead of just build blocking a planet for all the rock, ore, and greenery they'd ever need.

Why don't we just have it so you can only put build blocks on planets your faction owns? That means salvage cannons have some use.
    That's what I've said multiple times. However, it would cost faction points and take time to be able to use the build block to its full potential, making this option more attractive to single players, smaller factions, and larger factions who are in wars and don't want to waste faction points on a short(ish) term mining operation.