Antagonists and Planets

Reaction score
    I know (or am pretty sure) that much of the following has been discussed or is already planned, but thought I would add my two cents as my first post. I have been playing rabidly for several weeks in single player and think there needs to be a graded scale of real or potential antagonists with weaker ones being the most common. For example:

Simple non-intelligent alien creatures-For those of you who have played the Baldur's Gate games, something like the bears. They wander around and are completely neutral unless you get too close, then they attack. This would make the laser pistol more useful.

Primitive intelligent aliens - Alien creatures that have some weapons, small settlements specific to one planet, and will only attack he invaders (you) if they see you.

Semi-advanced, non-spacefaring aliens - These you could set up trading with of fight with as you choose, and (like minecraft) would potentially have some resource that is harder to get otherwise.

Basically, all these planets have plant life and could use some other life to interact with. I have read in other forums of people asking for AI/alien empires. This one I think the game could do without given the multiplayer option (and it may also be very difficult to program in).

Related to this is the variety of planets and lack of water (at least I haven't seen water as a liquid). Every planet seems to have life, but what about baren planets (e.g. Mars, the moon, etc.), water planets, or gas giants?

Just some thoughts.