AMC Damage Rework (Fix shield and hull problem)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Would separating damage into anti-shield, anti-hull, anti-module and AOE help? I\'m thinking several of the weapon types from Jupiter the Nexus Incident could work for Starmade. Lasers for anti-module, they tunnel deep into a ship partially bypassing shields but overall damage is low. Ballistic canons for anti-hull, high damage and medium rate of fire, for use when the shields are down. Energy \"Bubbles\" or pulses for anti-shield, like the current AMC, for taking down shields. Missiles/rockets/torpedoes for AOE and clearing out small ships, these could have subtypes for specific targets. Also the PBG (flamethrower) from X3 AP would be spiffy for smaller ships, give it a nearly point blank range but high AOE and fire rate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thought I\'d log in to add my thoughts here [even if this is bordering on thread necro].

IMO, a single antimatter cannon [I think these should be emphasized to not be lasers, since lasers aren\'t projectiles, etc.] should have a relatively high fire rate, low damage, and fairly slow velocity. As you add more cannons to a chain, the damage [per cannon] should increase, it should fire more slowly, and at much higher velocity [as happens in real life]. Think a handgun compared to a battleship cannon.

Right now it seems like the best tactic is a large number of single cannons, and just saturate the area with fire. Large cannons are fun, but not nearly as effective [except against single large vessels].

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There are other factors that can restrict weapon power.

Mechwarrior for example uses a \"Heat\" system where firepower is unlimited, but DPS is limited by cooling capacity. Bigger mechs can stack up bigger guns and more armor, but gain much less cooling.

Ammo is another potential system. Guns demand munition storage porportional to their size. Munition storage gives a limited long term endurance to weapons. Bigger weapons demand more storage, and ammo can\'t be wasted shooting the wrong targets. It also adds a delicious weak point to the weapon. Munition storage is volatile, creating big explosions that damage the ship and deny ammo to the weapon. Heavy armor and shields are needed to protect the ammo, increasing the amount of space that needs to be spent on defenses and limiting overall firepower.

OR you can completely forget that this is a voxel ship designer, and go straight to rock/paper/scissors equpiment and guns. Whoever packs on more rock wins, I guess.