Alternate Ship Controls

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'd like to suggest a few things about the control for ships since I'd actually prefer Freelancer like control for flying them.

For example not having to constantly move my mouse across my mousepad just to turn. If the cursor would stay where it is instead of constantly moving back to the center of the view it'd be more easy on the hand to turn with slower ships and still possible to do fine turns with more agile ones. The more you go for the screen edge the more of it's max. turning speed would the ship use. Of course for pitching the sensitivity would be higher since it has to put the same range into a much smaller area, I want 4:3 screens back...

Anyways, it could still center automatically when it's near the center so you can prevent constant turning when you want to park.

Another thing is the thrust, having to hold down W for flying across multiple sectors can get really bothersome so maybe the thrust could be instead set to x % of max. and the ship holds that.

That'd need a small change in how the buttons are laid out though and for that I'd also have a recommendation:

WASD are for left/right and up/down strafing, Q and E would be for rolling, Z (on US layout, Y on german and whoever else has these swapped) and C for controlling the thrust. C increases it and Z/Y lower it. X could be used for a throttle kill to go into drifting and holding X could be breaking.

The main reason I'm not using shift and control for that is that it's firstly a bad thing to use modifier keys for actual actions because you secondly run out of usable keys way faster.

And this is a suggestion for an alternative controlling method, the old one should still be left in because I'm sure not everyone would like the one I suggested.

Also another thing that'd be nice to see would be an autopilot that flies you towards your waypoint so I can easier go back to the starting sector.

Marking shops for longer distance in the nav menu would also be nice, currently it seems to be 2 sectors or roughly 4km and while I've already had like 5 shops withing that range I also sometimes didn't find any for felt 8km, but going by how easily I lose orientation it was probably less.

An unrelated small change I'd also really like is an option to invert the scroll direction for the slots as I find it to be wrong. I'm always scrolling in the wrong direction : (

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Freelancer themed server! http://star-made.org/content/pvphardcorenoblueprint-freelancer-themed-server