Allow Tagging/Naming Cameras

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I searched the suggestions for an idea like this prior to posting, but I was surprised to see that this hasn't been suggested before.

The problem:

Sometimes, ships have lots of cameras to facilitate many different functions. For example: targeting cameras for specific weapons, navigation cameras, rear views, internal security cameras, docking cameras.

Depending on how large and complex your ship is, it can be a pain to cycle through all available cameras to find the one you are looking for.

The solution:
    My idea is simple. Add a "use" option to the camera and provide an entry field, similar to how the display block works, to allow tagging the camera with a name/alias. This alias would then appear briefly on your screen when you switched to that camera in flight mode, similar to how messages appear when you switch systems. An unnamed/untagged camera would work just as it does now, requiring no modification to existing ships and designs.

The alias text should probably be smaller, and not in the same location as system change notifications to avoid confusion, but otherwise that's it.

I think it would add good value, without too much effort and no additional burden on users.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like it. Maybe when switching cameras, you could have categories.

Navigate> Forward 1, Forward 2, Rear 1
    Weapon> Auto 1, Missile 1, Sniper 1,
    Security> Hall 1, Hall 2, Cockpit door, Cargo Bay, Fighter Hangar.

Etc. Same could work for jumping to other docked entities so you don't disable every turret AI when you're trying to switch into a shuttle.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Etc. Same could work for jumping to other docked entities so you don't disable every turret AI when you're trying to switch into a shuttle.
    Omg yes, I didn't even think of grouping like that, but that would be great. I think i saw a similar suggestion a while back related to weapon computers that could apply here.