Recognized by Council Allow light to propagate through wedges, slabs, etc.....

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    ...dependent upon orientation of coarse. Almost all of my builds use hidden lighting, (don't like the look of a big fat light block in my face) and I just wish i had more options for creatively hiding those light blocks.

I was going to necro an old post I saw awhile ago, but couldn't find it....oh well, here's a new thread.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The problem is primarily that the light source is a point light centered on the empty block space adjacent to the light block, so it's easy to just remove the point light when the adjacent block space is filled with something. Therefore, modified light sources would need to be introduced to fill in the gaps. Here are some recommendations on how they could introduce that new lighting.

1. Wedges, corners, and tetras: point light at approximately 1/3 intensity (~85/255) at the "centroid" point between the three "exposed" points of the block. At this scale, the centroid could probably be approximated as 1/4 of the distance from either open side.

2. 1/4 slab: 1/2 intensity point light 3/8 from the open edge of the space, which is half-way along the 3/4 space that is -not- taken up by the slab.
    3. 1/2 slab: 1/3 intensity point light 1/4 from the open edge of the space.
    4. 3/4 slab: 1/5 intensity point light 1/8 from the open edge of the space.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The problem is primarily that the light source is a point light centered on the empty block space adjacent to the light block, so it's easy to just remove the point light when the adjacent block space is filled with something. Therefore, modified light sources would need to be introduced to fill in the gaps. Here are some recommendations on how they could introduce that new lighting.

1. Wedges, corners, and tetras: point light at approximately 1/3 intensity (~85/255) at the "centroid" point between the three "exposed" points of the block. At this scale, the centroid could probably be approximated as 1/4 of the distance from either open side.

2. 1/4 slab: 1/2 intensity point light 3/8 from the open edge of the space, which is half-way along the 3/4 space that is -not- taken up by the slab.
    3. 1/2 slab: 1/3 intensity point light 1/4 from the open edge of the space.
    4. 3/4 slab: 1/5 intensity point light 1/8 from the open edge of the space.
    Right you are about light sources being a point, but even the 1/4 slabs block that source. Probably because the game still sees them as full blocks. At any rate good ideas but I would honestly like it better if there wasnt a reduction in light intensity. Sometimes I need the light but also want a small opening, currently I cant have that in game.

Come to think of it, this is likely going to be addressed in the lighting update. Maybe I'll pop on over to Kupu's thread and yell at him about it for a minute.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I believe that has more to do with bugs or flaws in the lighting system than an intentional feature. I'll pass it on regarless, because as you said, it really makes no sense.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I appreciate it keptick, thank you.

Not with our current lighting system, no. The lighting is pre-calculated and considers placed blocks as occupying the entire voxel. Either larger changes to the calculations need to take place or we go with something realtime.
    Exactly what I figured was going on. I doubt they have time to mess with it at the moment, perhaps when the lighting engine gets some love.