AI and rails.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Is it just me, or realy AI can not use rail turrets now?
    I tried but failed..

Reaction score
    In the latest dev build (13) it worked for me fine. I have tried cannons, beams and missiles. The only issue is that the gun sometimes hits the base of the turret and the mother ship. Also, I don't understand their shield System. sometimes it looks like turrets are sucking shields out of the mother ship so they never take damage, but sometimes they just randomly become paper and die in two shots. Also they seem to be unhittable with missiles.

Edit: An example of working turrets (bare bones). In the Screenshot there are three turrets. One medium and two tiny. One of the tiny turrets is hitting itself with a beam....
    https://db.tt/hQQqpwTv

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, i have set up a AI module next to the core on the turret, ive tried everything as target, missile, selected, any. but the darn thing wont fire
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430738471,1430737920][/DOUBLEPOST]Also the turret and the gun are nod displayed as turrets, when i have Turrets in navigation panel unchecked i can still see them, and they are docked to a rail turret axis. So what gives?

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    1.) The "docked" and "turret" navigation filter options work only for the OLD system right now. This also applies to enabling AI from the structure tab.

2.) To get a turret to work, you have to:
    - fit all blocks that were previously needed for a turret (AI, faction, weapons) on the barrel part
    - have a rail docker on the barrel part connect to a turret axis block on the base part
    - have a rail docker on the base part connect to the ship
    - activate the AI (manually! no other way yet in the devbuild) on the barrel part.

3.) Reasons why a turret won't fire in the dev build:
    - Target cannot be centered in the turret's FOV (barrels can now ONLY fire directly forward; a turret must be able to fully turn towards the target with every axis; no longer will a turret do derpy sidefiring like before). When this happens, you will notice the turret "jerking around" or trembling.

4.) Reasons why a turret won't aim in the dev build:
    - Gimbal lock (e.g. barrel points exactly 90° upwards) (unconfirmed, but makes sense)
    - The target is not within the FOV of the turret, so the turret does not know of the target (unconfirmed). This would basically be like looking out of the turret from a player perspective. If there is a hostile signature on the screen, the turret will try to center the hostile signature on it's imaginary "screen". If the hostile is not on the "screen", the turret will only know about it when it enters the screen.
    - You did not enable the AI manually on the barrel.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    1.) The "docked" and "turret" navigation filter options work only for the OLD system right now. This also applies to enabling AI from the structure tab.

2.) To get a turret to work, you have to:
    - fit all blocks that were previously needed for a turret (AI, faction, weapons) on the barrel part
    - have a rail docker on the barrel part connect to a turret axis block on the base part
    - have a rail docker on the base part connect to the ship
    - activate the AI (manually! no other way yet in the devbuild) on the barrel part.

3.) Reasons why a turret won't fire in the dev build:
    - Target cannot be centered in the turret's FOV (barrels can now ONLY fire directly forward; a turret must be able to fully turn towards the target with every axis; no longer will a turret do derpy sidefiring like before). When this happens, you will notice the turret "jerking around" or trembling.

4.) Reasons why a turret won't aim in the dev build:
    - Gimbal lock (e.g. barrel points exactly 90° upwards) (unconfirmed, but makes sense)
    - The target is not within the FOV of the turret, so the turret does not know of the target (unconfirmed). This would basically be like looking out of the turret from a player perspective. If there is a hostile signature on the screen, the turret will try to center the hostile signature on it's imaginary "screen". If the hostile is not on the "screen", the turret will only know about it when it enters the screen.
    - You did not enable the AI manually on the barrel.
    A stupid question, but the turret bas also has to be connected to a axis block?
    Couse my turret still is not working...
    [DOUBLEPOST=1430740719,1430740542][/DOUBLEPOST]Nvm, she works now :D

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes: every turret consists of two parts.
    First part carries the weapons, second part carries at least some power and mass enhancers, optionally some extra shielding.
    The first part only has a rail docker; the second part has a rail turret axis block (dock the first part there) as well as a rail docker (dock to the mothership).

How turret shielding works:
    Turrets will "delegate" all incoming damage to the mothership shields until mothership shields are below 50%. When that happens, the mothership shields won't cover the docked parts anymore. If your docked part does not have shielding on it's own, it will then be vulnerable.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes: every turret consists of two parts.
    First part carries the weapons, second part carries at least some power and mass enhancers, optionally some extra shielding.
    The first part only has a rail docker; the second part has a rail turret axis block (dock the first part there) as well as a rail docker (dock to the mothership).

How turret shielding works:
    Turrets will "delegate" all incoming damage to the mothership shields until mothership shields are below 50%. When that happens, the mothership shields won't cover the docked parts anymore. If your docked part does not have shielding on it's own, it will then be vulnerable.
    Hm that is strange... I managed to make them work just with a rail turret axis on a mothership and one on the barrel part.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hm that is strange... I managed to make them work just with a rail turret axis on a mothership and one on the barrel part.
    Yeah turrets dock to the axis on the ship. The rail docker is on the turret base.

edit: very possibly misread a post.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Also, I don't understand their shield System. sometimes it looks like turrets are sucking shields out of the mother ship so they never take damage, but sometimes they just randomly become paper and die in two shots. Also they seem to be unhittable with missiles.
    Mothership absorbs damage on docked entities until shield strength is less than 50%, at which point the docked entity must rely on its own shields.