Advice on enclosing cockpits..

Reaction score
    I've been working on a new cockpit design. I really like the open look, which, unfortunately, disappears when I enclose the cabin in plexglass. Any advice on how to enclose it in plexglass without seeing block edges here and there?

Reactions: Blodge

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I'm afraid you'd have to edit the texture sheet yourself and completely remove the current glass colour.

This would make building a lot harder, but it'd be completely transparent giving you the open look.

If you need any help altering the glass in the textures just let me know.

Reactions: Jaaskinal

Targaryen

Deathbringer
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm afraid you'd have to edit the texture sheet yourself and completely remove the current glass colour.

This would make building a lot harder, but it'd be completely transparent giving you the open look.

If you need any help altering the glass in the textures just let me know.
    or we can use water :P

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yea, as CyberTao said, it depends on which textures you are using. But the water block in the pack you showed in your OP is completely transparent :)

With the addition of lots of new blocks in the coming future i have had to discontinue* supporting the cartoon pack. Sorry!

*(The community are more than welcome to continue it should they want to.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Targaryen

Deathbringer
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yea, as CyberTao said, it depends on which textures you are using. But the water block in the pack you showed in your OP is completely transparent :)

With the addition of lots of new blocks in the coming future i have had to discontinue* supporting the cartoon pack. Sorry!

*(The community are more than welcome to continue it should they want to.)
    that's bad, it was my favourite one ;/

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've found if you place your Core or Cockpit block right next to a Plexglass block, then the textures on the block "disappear" from your viewpoint. Maybe instead of making a canopy of Plexglass, you could try filling the entire cockpit with it so it touches the Core (or whatever block you took this screenshot from)?

Nice cockpit design, by the way. Very immersive.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I really like your cockpit view it's so immersive I tried to make one but not as nice
    starmade-screenshot-0001.png
    and I like the exterior looking too
    starmade-screenshot-0005.png
    great design tip

Reactions: Blodge
    Reaction score
    kupu Thanks for the tip on changing the textures - I may avoid this though, since removing the glass color for the cockpit also removes it for everything else.

Blodge Yeah, I've noticed that effect - thanks for mentioning it. The only downside to placing the plex-glass right in front of the core is that all transparent blocks become invisible, including water and ice. I'd hoped to retain the edges of the center glass (or water/ice) block to create a "HUD" effect, like you see in modern fighters... but the search for an effective method is still ongoing.

On another note, I tried modifying the original cockpit design a bit to accommodate a full plexglass canopy. Here are the results:

And from the exterior:

These screenies were taken while using the May 9 dev-build, and something about the glass textures in that build caused the edges to become less obvious. That, and now the cockpit computers look right while oriented forward (props to Kupu and the Schine team)! :)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to create an effective HUD glass, please let me know.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    kupu Thanks for the tip on changing the textures - I may avoid this though, since removing the glass color for the cockpit also removes it for everything else.

Blodge Yeah, I've noticed that effect - thanks for mentioning it. The only downside to placing the plex-glass right in front of the core is that all transparent blocks become invisible, including water and ice. I'd hoped to retain the edges of the center glass (or water/ice) block to create a "HUD" effect, like you see in modern fighters... but the search for an effective method is still ongoing.

On another note, I tried modifying the original cockpit design a bit to accommodate a full plexglass canopy. Here are the results:

And from the exterior:

These screenies were taken while using the May 9 dev-build, and something about the glass textures in that build caused the edges to become less obvious. That, and now the cockpit computers look right while oriented forward (props to Kupu and the Schine team)! :)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to create an effective HUD glass, please let me know.
    Wow! That looks great! I need to try something similar for one of my builds.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

And from the exterior:

Ah, I was wondering if you'd tried it and what the result was. Thanks for letting us know. And you're welcome :) To be honest, what you've done there looks pretty good to me :)