Adv. Build Template

Reaction score
    Hello there I saw the Tweet a few days ago about the Template feature planned for an upcoming release of the game, So I got the Dev version and started messing around with this new feature. love it, gonna make building epic ship components so much fun and quicker.

I just had a few questions about the function and the files it creates.

1) Once created can I send it to someone?
    1a) For them to use it dropping it in the template folder is all it will take?

2)Will there be a way to edit the file outside of the Game?
    2a) Will there be a way to rotate the template in game?

3)If there isn't a prefered method of editing the file outside of the game can I edit it myself and not breach any rules?

I'm really excited for this feature as I love to build little aesthetic touches to my ships and stations. This will let me have all of them at my disposal easily..

Reaction score
    1, 1a) I've not actually tried this, but if it doesn't work like that I'll make sure it will.
    2) I'm guessing not with official tools, but surely 3rd-party ones will provide such a functionality.
    2a) Yes.
    3) I don't see which rules you would break with this, so yes.

Reaction score
    Fantastic.
    I tried looking for editing software for the SMTML file extension and I found out that it was a template file (denoted by the TML) made by Starmade (the SM). I've looked and have yet to find something that edits TML files, all the sites say to use the original application which created it.

Sometimes I think it's easier to design something out of game on graph paper or even MSpaint before trying to boggle out in game. (recently I've been using a Voxel creation program called Qubicle to make models out of game). If it's not possible to edit outside of game I'm ok with that.

I have a few ship pieces that when I use all I do is change the color, I don't mind having to make templates of the same layout in different colors/blocks in game. Also from an outside editor you would have to embed block ids as well so that in of itself might not be possible...

Thanks for the reply. Rotating templates in game will help a ton.