Adv Build dimension and block limitations

Reaction score
    I suggest adding an option in the server.cfg to limit the maximum number of blocks placeable at once. This would allow higher dimension limits without lagging the server with excessive placement. It would also help to prevent spamming or griefing via mass block placement.

For example, say the max area was set to 20 (double the default) but the block limit was set to 1000 (the current default). You could build lines 20 long without any trouble. Or you could build walls or floors up to 2 thick(20*20*2=800). but you could not place a huge 20*20*20 chunk of blocks(8000). Symmetry would allow you to stretch this a bit as it dose now.

In short if X*Y*Z > block limit, then do not allow placement or removal.

Edit 6/27: Clarified that check is also used to account for removal.

This system could also be integrated with the planned build block limitations by checking against both the server limit and the "build block potential" of the structure.
    If (X*Y*Z*2^(S+1))/2 > Bl or Bp then deny placement\removal. where S is the number of symmetry planes enabled, Bl = block limit from the config, and Bp = build block potential of the structure.

Last edited:
    Reactions: AURAvulpes
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    You're forgetting that your idea could easily be overcome by using symetry.

Reaction score
    Third party tools can get you over the now 25*25*25 limit.

I know this isn't much help for most builders cause it isn't part of the actual game but for those that look for/use them it truely saves loads of time.

But because it can place far more blocks at once, I can also see why it isn't in the game. If you can place that many blocks, you can also remove that many. I removed whole vanilla stations in 1 click. It's fast, but the game can't keep up as well. It often results in you killing your fps and having to wait till the game catches up on all the blocks being transfered to your inventory (don't try whole planet plates). You could even place a 6 km long line if you want with it (server killer).

I can see that having higher values would help building stuff but it can go just as fast the other way.

Reaction score
    You're forgetting that your idea could easily be overcome by using symetry.
    I explicitly mentioned symmetry in the second paragraph. It could be taken into account directly I suppose, but it would complicate the simplicity of the equation. I believe (X*Y *Z*2^(S+1) )/2 would work with out needing to use a different equation for symmetry enabled or not.

Third party tools can get you over the now 25*25*25 limit.

I know this isn't much help for most builders cause it isn't part of the actual game but for those that look for/use them it truely saves loads of time.

But because it can place far more blocks at once, I can also see why it isn't in the game. If you can place that many blocks, you can also remove that many. I removed whole vanilla stations in 1 click. It's fast, but the game can't keep up as well. It often results in you killing your fps and having to wait till the game catches up on all the blocks being transfered to your inventory (don't try whole planet plates). You could even place a 6 km long line if you want with it (server killer).

I can see that having higher values would help building stuff but it can go just as fast the other way.
    I'm not sure where the number 25 is coming from the config allows for higher than that. I set my single player to 50 just to be sure. There's no reason the check can't be used for removal as well as placement. In fact the same system could be used for the planed build block limitations by checking the amount against both the server's limit and the "build block potential" of the structure. On hind sight I'm adding that as part of the original suggestion.

Reaction score
    I'm not sure where the number 25 is coming from the config allows for higher than that.
    Comes form the server I play on. Might not be the standard but idk sinds I use a tool that can get me over that anyway.