Account Protection - Server Login

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    To day I was curious to see if the server i play on was protected against nickname stealing ... it's not.

On the login screen I just replaced my usual name by the admins name, joined the game, ... and I was inside the guy's ship playing his character. :O

How does this get fixed? I read about the server config setting where you enable authentication, but some forum post said it was buggy and actually blocked people from using their own names.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah I know that, I did say it in the OP. I was asking if the feature was bugged or unsecured.

I guess I\'ll just have to find a server that has the protection enabled and try to break in.

Some people said you can just change a letter to a cap, like \"ObamA\" instead of \"Obama\", to get in even though the protection is enabled.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    \"Server Reject: this login name is protected on this server!\"
    \"You either aren\'t logged in via uplink, or the protected name belongs to another user!
    Please use the uplink menu to authenticate this name!\"

This message comes when i try to connect to a server after i have succesfully uplinked.

Last time, I played on this server using a different user name from this machine and used my user from my laptop.

Looks like the server got confused. This seems to be a bug.