Accordion Style Reactor

Reaction score
    Recently I had the idea of making semi-efficient, compact systems. Recently I came into a great deal of knowledge on power generation via a friend and Factionmate, Ozarck. Using his information that I've dubbed the rule of nine, Power Generators only reach a benefit in being connected after 9 blocks are present to be connected, anything less and you are better off seperating the blocks.

I set out to the most compact, efficient reactor I could with the Rule of Nine in mind, and Accordion Style was born. I built with Large Ships in mind, and focused on making a modular design that could be replicated easily and quickly, though I ended up finding that the design could applied to a multitude of vessels.

Using a series of 9 block L's, I alternate between opposing rotational orientationsto create an accordian-like effect. This pattern can be repeated as much as desired and players can fill the gaps as they please. Thrusters, Guns, Missiles, Scavenging Lasers for the few of use that still use them, Shields, Jammers, and even the interior of your ship.

Here's an example of how you can fill a 24 layer stack. Giving me some rather impressive Stats.

30,707 e/sec, 836.9 Thrust, 13992.0 Shields in weighing 90.2 Mass and fitting in the size of 6x6x24.

If you use Accordion in your ship design, post some Screenshots!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not Bad, but not great either.

You actually get the same power generation from 9 generators in a row (9x1x1) as you from a 5x5 \"L\" shape, and since the thruster blocks share some of the same demension math as the generators, you could get more trust by placing the same amount of thruster blocks around the perimeter of the 6x6x24 shape, moving the generator blocks towards in the inside, and filling it with shield blocks.

But the biggest problem with this desing is that it ignores the third axis, so while the block extends out 24 blocks, no generator takes advantage of it. Using 134 generator blocks like this, http://imgur.com/0EVqB8b, resuslts in around 33k e/sec, leaving 82 more boxes free to fill with shields, weapons, or whatever.

But again, not bad for a simple and easy to remember design. I don\'t really understand the fixation of only using groupings of 9, but if it\'s not broken, why fix it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Scavenging Lasers for the few of use[sic] that still use them

...what.

You mean people don\'t use scavenging lasers?
    Whaaaaaaaaaaat

Reaction score
    I do believe you misunderstood what your friend told you. 9 blocks is the breaking point where seperate blocks and a group are equal. It is the least efficient group that is better than just placing single blocks all over the place.

I wanted to make a better reactor, but thought it was 5x5x24 instead of 6x6x24. Nonetheless, http://puu.sh/3v96p.png is what I ended up with. It has:

36k power regen

587 thrust

12,5k shields

and a mass of 60

So, more power, close match in thrust and shields, but only a third of the mass, smaller and far easier to build.