Read by Schine Ability to autofill rooms with specific system blocks through UI.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Schine stated that they plan to introduce "rooms" or "quarters" I think they call them.

So shouldn't this also be used to assign areas of a ship to hold certain blocks? Like this, we could automate the whole process of placing rows and rows of the same block, and replace it with a UI, where we visually are mainly increasing stats of our ships (given we have the resources, of course).

For example, let's say cannon blocks. After assigning a room (for example, decorative ammunition chains) to hold Cannon Barrel blocks, you could then scroll up your ship's dfirepower slider in a UI and it would automatically fill the correct room with cannon blocks. That's just an example of course, you could do the same with most of the ships stats.

Building ships is a tedious process, I think making it easier would also make the game more accessible.

Reactions: Endal
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As much as I like a way to quickly fill a hull with systems, having it changeable or usable while in combat/not in build-mode concerns me, this would mean in-game repair of the ships systems seems like a very OP thing. Also, think about exploits like selecting an area in the middle of a corridor and have a continuous repairing wall as an anti-boarding system. Or am I misunderstanding you rariisan?

Please quote or tag me to get a faster response.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As much as I like a way to quickly fill a hull with systems, having it changeable or usable while in combat/not in build-mode concerns me, this would mean in-game repair of the ships systems seems like a very OP thing. Also, think about exploits like selecting an area in the middle of a corridor and have a continuous repairing wall as an anti-boarding system. Or am I misunderstanding you rariisan?

Please quote or tag me to get a faster response.
    That is correct and I apologize, because I forgot to add that detail after editing the thread a 1000 times :D

The starting idea is this to only be possible while the ship is either in a shipyard or docked at a station, so don't worry about those fears! hehe

Also thanks for the respectful response, it's appreciated.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Thanks for the appreciation rariisan :D
    The rules you made up eliminate the exploits so I guess all I now need to know is the details.
    About those details.... :P
    whoops forgot to press post and now this message came a day later :( sorry for the delay.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I will write a hypothetical scenario just to show my suggestion as detailed as possible :P

First of all I want to make clear that this suggestion is supposed to come once we have a promised feature, which is quarters (aka rooms).

Hypothetical and subject to change:
    I build myself a nice looking ship, focusing on making it look neat. Now I have this hollow hull with no systems whatsoever (well, maybe energy generation, because that has its own rules). Then, with the incoming rooms feature I assume the game will have the ability to detect closed rooms, so I then for example select the rooms which are close to the thrusters and assign them to hold Thruster Blocks. Then, while the ship is docked, I access Ship Update Computer in the station, which would probably be connected to the according Rail Block and a Storage Block from which to pull system blocks off. Said Update Computer would be a open a panel with sliders which I could increase to update my ship's systems, in this case it would be the thrusters, since I've only assigned an area for them. So as I increase the thruster slider, this update station pulls the thruster off this Storage Block and fills the thruster rooms (which I assigned earlier) with said blocks.

Again, this is just hypothetical, this could be applied in any variant and I'm sure making the game less arduous can only have positive effects.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know about the suggestion HolyCookie ! And don't worry for the delay :D

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't know about the slider part because you will need to select a kind of system or they have to make sliders for every single system. Also I have no idea how you would assign an area to such a computer. But a part of it sounds pretty good, being able to just block of a place and auto fill it with a certain block can be very usefull. Just like paint or something. I do want to remind you that it is only possible if they use some kind of detection, and I don't know if they have planned to do it with some kind of detection.

sorry for all the spelling and grammar mistakes, chrome failed me and now I am using firefox and I don't have a spelling checker now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    That bit, the closed room detection.
    Oh I see what you meant now. Well, if the incoming feature doesn't entail detection, I'm sure that, whatever the method they will use to assign a room as a quarter, it will be usable to assign a room as a system room. Anyways I hope they like the idea and adapt it! They have made good decisions so far.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    An easy way to build such things is always nice, but it does not need to rely on the quarter system. That is very specific to crews at the moment. The game could instead fill a space wall to wall or ceiling to floor in a line. If it can do that then it could probably just fill the room going row by row of blocks. I imagine this would be a new build mode tool. We aren't 100% on how we want to define quarters yet, as there are a few options. Maybe something we do there can be utilized here but the two systems are for different purposes.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    An easy way to build such things is always nice, but it does not need to rely on the quarter system.
    One thing worth mentioning is that it would not only help build these systems, but also modify/replace them without a hassle.

And to add some brainstorming to this thread, you could even create one of those mixed "master-slave" weapons just by specifying the % you want and then just moving the slider around (to fill/drain the selected area of the ship).

Also really impressed that you process all suggestions, Schine truly rocks!