Implemented A way to seriously increase construction speed.

Reaction score
    Im not sure if this will have been covered or not before, but my suggestion is away to seriously increase the rate of construction with the use of a filler mode. The idea being that you would place a 'marker' block at each end of the line, or space you want to fill, and then you would pick which block would be inserted into that space. This is not my own idea, its from another block builder games i've played called Total Miner, i realise there would probably be some form of copyright protection in place, but im sure there will be a way to work around that. The 'marker' blocks could have a huge amount of other commands attached to them as well. I have included a link to a youtube video of the idea in practice on Total Miner.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Why not just use advanced build mode to do the exact same thing? You can set the build area and click once to fill the area.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Imagine expanding this idea to irregular polygons, using 4 or more point nodes in 3D space. It would be a great way to fill in spaces inside an irregular hull.

Reaction score
    yes but thats limited the 10x10x10, with this you'd be able to extend that to whatever dimensions you want.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455642354,1455642151][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Imagine expanding this idea to irregular polygons, using 4 or more point nodes in 3D space. It would be a great way to fill in spaces inside an irregular hull.

Yes thats the idea, you'd put the marker blocks where i've circled with red, choose the type of block you wanted to fill that space and done.

Attachments

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    yes but thats limited the 10x10x10, with this you'd be able to extend that to whatever dimensions you want.
    The whole reason it's limited is that large mass placement is laggy. You can go into your local server configuration file and increase the max build limits in your singleplayer game, but if you make it something completely nuts (say, 1000x1000x1000, which you can totally do) don't be surprised when your game crashes.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    The whole reason it's limited is that large mass placement is laggy. You can go into your local server configuration file and increase the max build limits, but if you make it something completely nuts (say, 1000x1000x1000, which you can totally do) don't be surprised when your game crashes.
    So your saying its more a limitation with the power of the game, rather than something that cant be done.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    So your saying its more a limitation with the power of the game, rather than something that cant be done.
    it's limited to the games optimisation and your own computer.
    I have my advanced build mode set to 250.
    I can place a 250^3 down but it lags for a bit, which makes sense since it's 750 blocks placed at the same time, imagine that with symmetry.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I can place a 250^3 down but it lags for a bit, which makes sense since it's 750 blocks placed at the same time, imagine that with symmetry.
    750 blocks? Wat? 250^3 = 15625000 blocks...

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    750 blocks? Wat? 15625000.
    oh right, didnt think it through when I did the math :p
    I completely forgot how to math so I went ad said 250*3 instead of 250^3.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, placing 750 blocks is actually a pretty trivial operation for the game to run; 15.6 million is another question entirely :P

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Yeah, placing 750 blocks is actually a pretty trivial operation for the game to run; 15.6 million is another question entirely :p
    indeed, (no I have no idea why I didnt check it through when I wrote 750 blocks)
    and not only do we place those 15 million form time to time but sometimes we accidently leave the symmetry on to double that number

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    indeed, (no I have no idea why I didnt check it through when I wrote 750 blocks)
    and not only do we place those 15 million form time to time but sometimes we accidently leave the symmetry on to double that number
    OR even octuple it with all 3 planes.

Reaction score
    I don't understand the pattern Council recognizes ideas. Flood filling is one of the most suggested ideas out there yet this thing was implemented yet the very same "fill all" button didn't get the status.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I don't understand the pattern Council recognizes ideas. Flood filling is one of the most suggested ideas out there yet this thing was implemented yet the very same "fill all" button didn't get the status.

Because this isn't a flood-fill suggestion thread. He wanted a way to place large amounts of blocks at once, and he has it.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Which is exactly why this thread is labeled "Implemented".
    Build mode allows cubes and rectangles. It does not allow outlining an area and then filling it. I'm not sure which was the intent of the original poster, but Jayman said it well to help redefine what would be NEW and useful for StarMade, see the below quote.

Reactions: jayman38