A very simple passcode /access suggestion

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So I don't have a big post or some elaborate re-definition of what space combat is for you guys, I only have this tiny tidbit of a feature which honestly, shouldn't be that hard to implement, on paper at least.

Pass codes for plexdoors, plex storage, and perhaps even shipcores.

You don't need anything more than that. You can stop reading if you don't need or want to know more. That's the idea. It's said. Nothing to add for it to make sense.
    But since I'm all in for explanations and am aware some people here seem to be challenged in one way or another, here's some more info.
    Obviously, it's an optional thing, so blocks wouldn't /require/ one, but can be set to one.

Edit: It'd be cool for this restriction block to also work on docking arrays, so that you can "reserve" them in a sense.

Version A
    Most-basic-you-can-get basic.

Plexdoors and storage blocks, if protected, prompt an input when used with "R". Wrong input does nothing and closes the input window. Right input opens the door / access storage. And that's it.

Version B
    Cooler-upper-stuffer remote console version.

From A. Pull out the input prompt to another block, such as an "access pad", working the same way a weapons' computer works. You link that security pad to the object groups you want it linked to. If the thing is on "locked", then interacting with the doors or storages it's linked to simply informs you that the system you're trying to interact with is currently locked. Just that. Now just stick that input mechanic onto the "security console" thing and voilà. Your very own secured plex door. Or your very own private safe that all your greedy faction members can't cheerfuly pillage.

*Edit*

Version C
    The-hands-free-lazy-one-timer-setter alternative

Discussing with some, they expressed they'd rather assign faction ranks or such to restrict or allow access rather than a pass of any sorts. Another thread posted today basically leans that way a bit. Have a block assignede to system group and input a specific list of playernames, a general Enemy or Faction limitation, and voilà.

While it's another good idea, my problem with option C is that it might be frustrating not to know weither a door is locked of it the server is lagging crazy. In defense of my password requirement, with the apparition of Logs, you could easily turn it into an exploration/adventure mechanic, whereas you have a locked door in a location, and the pass can be hidden somewhere, or be the answer to some riddle. Just some idea :3

Reaction score
    This is a great idea.

I always hate it when i tell people to leave \"me stuff\" allone and when you log back in you realize that someone has \"lent\" your ship. (this happens in factions all the time)

\"i didn\'t know, lol\" is the answer i get.

It would be nice if we could protect faction homes from griefing members.

as far as i know, everyone who has joined a faction can just walk up to the build block and mass delete everything you have worked hard for. or he just places another build block down.

password secured doors and cores would eliminate those \"unknowing\" people.

if they want my stuff so badly they should at least have to shoot it to shreds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Such a feature would be great, indeed. However is the use of passcodes viable in such a game ? That would be a very nice RP feature, but passwords, once leaked, can be shared.

Imagine : you just invited player Lambda in your faction. You tell your friend the passcode(s) for your PlexStorage room. However, Lambda is evil and just wanted your passcodes and waits for you to logout and leak it on the public chat... No need to say more, when you log in, your storage room will be empty, if it\'s even still there.

A authorized access namelist/factionlist would be wiser in my opinion.

Note : Charlie_ proposed to merge with http://star-made.org/content/access-module . I do agree, we should try to figure it out together.