A turret with two bases

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I cannot test this till later tonight but I am curious if this will work. Use a fixed dock to attach a power supply to your ship or station and then dock a turret directly to the power supply. This whey you wouldn't have to have your power supply rotate with the base of the turret.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I cannot test this till later tonight but I am curious if this will work. Use a fixed dock to attach a power supply to your ship or station and then dock a turret directly to the power supply. This whey you wouldn't have to have your power supply rotate with the base of the turret.
    Yeah, this is fairly common to have a three part turret. I use it a lot in my recessed turrets so I only have to cut a standard square hole and drop them in.

Note: If you use a three part system, make sure you use a rail speed controller to "turn off" the bottom level rail. Even if its only one rail block, the game still tries to run collision checks to see if the docked entity can be moved. This causes lag. If you use a Rail Speed Controller with a single deactivated activator on it, you will set the rail's speed to 0 and prevent it from doing the checks.

Rule of thumb, if you have anything docked that isn't supposed to be actively moving, you should turn the rail off.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    Sweet thanks this way seems way better than a giant rotating base.

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've been wondering about this, as a way to make a free-rotating PD turret.

Right now, my ships use a 3x3 'coin' PD turret that only rotates along the X axis. What I'd like to do is have a turret that rotates along both the X and Y axes, but without having to have two AIs to handle the rotation.

The coin looks like this:

Sh BB Ar
    SC RD CB
    Sh CC Ar

Where:
    Sh - Shield Recharger/Capacitor
    Ar - Armor
    BB - Bobby AI
    SC - Ship Core
    RD - Rail Docker
    CC - Cannon Computer
    CB - Cannon Barrel

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You only put the AI on the part with weapons. You don't need an AI on each part.

Its possible to create a floating ball type AMS turret where the turret base is under the main hull and the second axis rotator is outside the hull then build a small ball turret around that. You can complete enclose the second rotator inside the ball. Only the 4 adjacent blocks need to be free for full 360 rotation. The diagonals can be filled.

Another trick for a three part turret with a fixed base as a power supply is you can with some difficultly make the base power supply for multiple turrets. Its more work setting up but I have a turret battery of 6 turrets on a base. 6 x Flush turrets with 300 weapon blocks each. Full 360 horizontal rotation and 90 up rotation. I have 4 of these installed on my ship for a total of 24 turrets. I only had to spawn 4 and dock them in rather than 24 individual turrets. Will get a lot trickier to do though if your ship isn't symmetrical but it is doable.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Your PD disk seems to have only a single cannon module and a single cannon computer. This means it fires only once per second and hits for 10 damage. This is seriously less than ideal for a PD weapon. A single damage point is needed to destroy a missile, any more is overkill. You should rather have two cannon modules, each controlled by one of two cannon computers where one is slaved to the other. This will give it a machine gun effect where it will fire ten times a second, literally increasing it's chances of destroying a missile by a factor of ten.