A sensible approach to Hyperspeed Thrusters

Reaction score
    Many people want hyperspeed thrusters (or a means of getting around faster than our patience allows), so here's what I know is a sensible means of implementing them:

A Hyperthruster block is added, and this is simply a thruster (yes, just like the Coil Thrusters) however requires the pilot to activate them (by pressing a hot key of course) while flying around. Once activate the ship is able to accelerate to a second, significantly higher speed limit by means of just continuing to hold the 'W' key as you would to accelerate anyway.

Essentially, if that wasn't plain enough, when you activate the Hyperthrusters that normal speed limit (by default value 50) is ignored and you can continue to accelerate to a second, greater speed limit with the use of those Hyperthrusters.

Why the thrusters then? why not just a computer? Well, Coil Thrusters cannot accelerate you faster than that normal speed limit, but Hyperthrusters can do so (however cannot accelerate you from 0-normal speed value, hence you must have thrusters to reach a speed sufficient to enter hyperspeed)

So, I think this is a reasonible approach to getting around faster, and although travelling fast increases how annoying asteroids are, its still highly useful and much sought after. Maybe a few cool light effects could be added too :P

Reaction score
    This goes for all hyperspeed engines/FTL drives: How are you going to load all of the sectors while you are moving so fast? You can get stuck in planets and space stations, and possibly crash the server that you\'re on. That is why warping instantly works better. The other solution is entering a different dimension, and in that dimension, for every sector you move, you move multiple sectors in the normal dimension. Hyperspeed and FTL just won\'t work.

Reaction score
    Well i can load the sectors fast but then thats not on a crowded mp server.The idea of stargates is also appealing however you would then have to load a lot of thinsg at once, however.

The game has (at this early moment) basic rendering abilities, if there was a simple \'pre-render\', you know, things loaded first in low detail at distance and then as detail when approached closer (like in Halo:Reach and other such games), sector loading (as most sectors are just 98% empty space) wouldn\'t be so much of a problem. But the rendering issue is a big one, and not quickly fixed, so i think this proposition for the implementation of hyperspeed stands for a day when rendering is not such a problem :)