A Question or two that need answering. (No rush XD)

Reaction score
    After I build the Dreadnought (Will take a while) I was planning on making special "Auxiliary Ships" that can attach to the sides of the Dreadnought and increase the firepower of the Dreadnought and/or Provide extra power/shields. if I go the weapons route (I'll probably make both the attack and defense ones though) I head from someone about this "Missile Drill" So far I haven't found anything on it, (Basically the attack-type Auxiliary ship would be a massive Lance weapon) so I would need to know how it is made

Second is this concept something I should definitely work on after the Dreadnought or should I not?

Only issues I'm worried about is whether or not the power modules would add to the ship or the Ship would actually open fire when something is in front of it.

And how do I make a turret with like three barrels fire them one after the other instead of all three at a time? Like put a delay or something on two of the turrets?

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    1a. For weapon modules, I would recommend making large turrets instead of static weapon pods. Reason: large ships (I.e. dreadnaughts) cannot turn quickly compared to smaller turrets, so it would be incredibly difficult to keep weapon pods lined up with targets.

1b. If you wanted to, it wouldn't be the first time that "support vessels" are mounted as large turrets on turret rails that are built some distance from the core ship.

I would recommend making turrets (weapon pods) completely energy independent. That is, able to fully power their own weapons with their own reactor blocks.

For weapons firing at different times, I recommend adding different ratios of cannon secondary blocks that cause the three weapons to repeat at different rates. (Simple Example: First cannon has 200 blocks in the primary group and 160 blocks in the secondary. Second cannon has 200 blocks in the primary again, but only 140 blocks in the secondary. The third cannon has 200 blocks in the primary, but only 130 blocks in the secondary. These ratios should keep the different shots shooting at different times.) The first shots will fire at the same time, but then with different cannon secondary ratios, the shots will be off-set until they happen to coincide. Other than that, it would take some clever power tricks. (Namely, having only enough power capacity to fire only one cannon out of three. Even then I'm not sure if that still works; I've never done it myself.)

Unfortunately, we do not yet have any easy, reliable way to delay shots from multiple barrels, such as some sort of delay effect tertiary system.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Your main ship cannot inherit either power or shields from entities docked to it. Power and shields only flow outwards from the main ship, not the other way around.

The essential idea of a 'missile drill' is that a first missile punches a hole, a second missile following right behind that one flys into that hole and detonates at the bottom of that one, making the hole deeper, then a third one flies into that hole and does the same, followed by a forth, then a fifth, etc.. This works best at close range before missiles have time to zig zag out of the straight line trajectory that they would otherwise have. At long range, even the best constructed missile drill simply becomes an ordinary missile volley that will pepper their target all over the place.

To build a missile drill, all you need to do is stagger the firing points of the respective missiles one in front of the other. It might be best to vary the stagger a bit a few blocks in all directions to make it harder for a single point defense turret to line up versus all of them, but they sill need to be close enough for them to fly into the holes made by the others. The missiles also need to be powerful enough to be certain to actually be able to punch holes through pierce hardened advanced armor, so they can't bee too small in terms of damage.

In my opinion, the best way to get a successful missile drill ship that can be AI piloted is to put the drill in a turret on a relatively small, relatively fast ship. The turret does not need to have a large axis of rotation as the ship itself can do the rotation. Give the ship itself 'only' a beam/cannon/ion weapon as a forward firing hull weapon. That weapon does not have to be large. The point is that the ship's AI will fly so as to engage with that hull mounted weapon. As the range of a beam/cannon is very short, it will basically fly to point blank range, where the missile drill will be most effective.

A missile drill should be built with missile/beam/explosive, but with no beam modules slaved. This will keep the missiles seeking, but also keep them firing every 15 seconds. You do not need the extra range for a missile drill. You might consider using missile/cannon instead, which will make them dumb fire. This will guarantee a straight trajectory but also mean that it might have a lot of difficulty hitting agile targets. Versus large ships though, such a ship/weapon could be a true nightmare once the shields go down.

If you want to get really funky, give the ship a pulse/cannon/ion weapon, A decent sized shield drain beam system, and a missile/cannon missile drill in a largely fixed turret. This will get the ship in really close, will work as effectively as possible bringing down the enemy's shields while reinforcing it's own, and once the shields go down, the missile cannon drill will be at such close range that it can't possibly miss.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Oh yeah, I'm a convert to the Missile/Cannon turret.

It sucks big hairy ones against small fighters, but you put it up against a decent sized ship and it will pound it into the freaking dirt.

Missile/Cannon/Explosive will punch crater sized holes in anything that doesn't have fighter level nimbleness, and they're excellent for overwhelming point defense so that your bigger lock on missile/beam or even missile/pulse can get through unmolested.