A question about turrets & capital ships.

Reaction score
    Hey guys, After playing around some more and messing with the linking systems, (thanks by the way again to those who helped me out with that) I was wondering a little more about turrets. I think they really make my ship look really nice but seems my shields do not protect them and they usually get picked off pretty fast. Is there a particular way to build these things? Or incorporate them into my ships shields? If not thats cool.

For my second question, i find i build things really small in comparison to other ships, i spent like an entire day on this one frigate adding and removing and what not to find out that a pirate fighter was pretty close to the size of my ship lol anyone suggest some dimension guide lines? Thanks again for the support :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    About turrets, they are not covered by the shields of the ship they are on. The only way you can shield them with the ships shields is to put them inside a plex door dome, but then it just hits the inside of it most of the time. So basicly, you need to build your turrets with shields on board. However it is worth mentioning, even though its not what you asked, that turrets can draw power from the ship.

For class guidelines, there are no official starmade classifications, you build whatever you want at whatever scale you want. No doubt you'll get a few suggestions soon about peoples preferred classifications, but personally i do my own thing.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Heyyo! First off, the only thing that turrets automatically share with their parent vessel is energy. If you want your turrets to be able to take a few stray hits, make sure they have a rudimentary shield system. That goes doubly so for larger anti-capital turrets, you don't want drones/heatseekers/flankers lessening ship's firepower too easily.

As for general ship size guidelines, it really depends on what type of experience you're aiming for. RP/hardcore server with more strict rulesets and a ramped up economy tend towards smaller vessels, with the largest capital ships being only a couple hundred meters along their largest axis.
    Vanilla servers tend to be a bit larger, with many people making front line super-capital vessels almost a kilometer long. Of course, there's plenty of smaller vessels as well, and I find a good medium for an efficient multipurpose vessel is along the 200-300 meter mark.
    Having a decent amount of volume ensures that larger vessels can't simply write you off as a slaughter (As long as you're knowledgeable in effective systems design; we can help you with that) and at that size is usually when one can fit both effective turrets and a good hangar/dock for smaller vessels in case they are needed. Going too much larger than that begins to lower your efficiency per block, as most systems in game tend to drop off at one point or another.

Reactions: Aridhol

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    For my second question, i find i build things really small in comparison to other ships, i spent like an entire day on this one frigate adding and removing and what not to find out that a pirate fighter was pretty close to the size of my ship lol anyone suggest some dimension guide lines? Thanks again for the support :)
    If non-squares are allowed, I'll build my gates X or V-shaped to make my gates not usable by builds from somebody else :D
    Else I will just cover it partially with hulls, or would that break it?

Will make nice gate-species.

First Classification System for WarpGates (AFAIK):

Sizes are minima, not maxima for that classification.
    1st number = minimum number of bits to represent minimum diameter.
    2nd or 3rd number = size ratio (larger / smaller), rounded down.

1st Alphanumeric = lower axis size (diameter)
    • binary = dezimal = Name _infix_ Gate = 1st char
    • Default 0 = broken (1st) or no derivation (2nd) from standard gates.
    1. broken | no derivation = Broken _ _ _ | _ Normed _
    2. 0x10 = 2 = Personal _ Gate = 2 or P
    3. 0x100 = 4 = Spy _ Gate = 3
    4. 0x1000 = 8 = Scout _ Gate = 4
    5. 0x1'0000 = 16 = Shuttle _ Gate = 5 or S
    6. 0x100'0000 = 64 = Margin _ Gate = 7
    7. 0x1000'0000 = 128 = Meridian _ Gate = 8 or M
    8. 0x1'0000'0000 = 256 = Medium _ Gate = 9
    9. 0x10'0000'0000 = 512 = Large _ Gate = A or L
    10. 0x100'0000'0000 = 1024 = Hyper _ Gate = B or H
    optional 2nd (with 3 numbers):
    • same as 1st, but without the first bit in the bit-representation (derivation from standard sizes)

2nd or 3rd Alphanumeric = larger axis size : lower axis size
    • ratio L:S = Name infix = 2nd char
    1. 1:1 = _ Tailored _ = 1 or T (DEFAULT)
    2. 3:2 or 4:3 = _ Uncommon _ = 2 or U
    3. 2:1 = _ Wide _ = 2 or W
    4. 3:1 = _ Extended _ = 3 or E
    5. >=4 :1 = _ Anarchy _ = 4 or A
    TO-DO:
    • E and A may be hard to tell apart from 1st and 2nd letters.
    • Need a few better names :)
    StarGate = Personal gate.
    inner diameter = 2
    outer diameter = 4

Maybe the third letter of my suggestion should be r = radial or s = sphere (lower case, rather than upper case like first ones)
    S, M, L are supposed to be NPC-standard.

You write it like hexadecimal( D, D2<D ), S where D = diameter (round down), D2 = derivation from D (also round down), S = Shape
    Example: "85-2" means bit 8 (128) + bit 5 (32) => Shorter axis =160 & Longer axis = shorter *2
    There is no 68-2, convert with (a+1)(b-a)-c to (6+1)(8-6)-2 = 72-2

Your ship can go through a gate if gate class > ship class using first and second letter as in normal decimal comparison.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I found this turret conversation stimulating and informative.
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/suggestions-for-making-good-turrets-post-them-here.2383/

Your typical Isanth pirate ship is something like 35m wide, 15 m high, and 29 m long. Even just doubling those dimensions will give you a huge advantage. When you double all three dimensions, you are multiplying the block-space of your ship by about 8 times! Then when you add turrets on top of that, you start to dominate pirates.

Also, you will want to check out effects systems and master/slave weapon systems. There's tons of information available, but be careful of old information that is out of date. Anything that doesn't show effect blocks is probably no longer as informative as it used to be.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Your typical Isanth pirate ship is something like 35m wide, 15 m high, and 29 m long
    A 41-2 gate class. Can use 52-1 (better 53-1) gates as well as 41-2 (better 42-2) gates according to my gate classification :)

Reaction score
    Thank you guys so much for the information... It's awesome that the community is there to help. Once i get things figured out and how it all works i would like to host a lil server for the fun of it if anyone is interested :) I'm going to start a new thread about a few more questions that i have regarding logic blocks and someone mentioned sometihng bout helping me out with power setups and what not so if anyone could be so nice to give me a heads up once i post it i'd greatly appreciate it :) Thanks guys for the awesome support thuis place provides...awesome community. :)