A question about AI

Reaction score
    Is it possible to create a new AI controlled faction that would function in a manner similar to the AI pirates?
    My goal would be to create a AI controlled faction that would attack pirates and players alike.

Reaction score
    Good to know. I had read a fuzzy post somewhere that seemed to imply this was possible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Assuming you didn't want random spawns. You could create a one man faction, set it to hostile to neutrals, then create a ship blueprint for them. From there you would spawn said ships, turn on the bobby AI's and they would attack/chase any ships that came in range. So the only real difference between what you want to do and what you can do is random spawns.

Reaction score
    it is defenitely possible to do this, the only part that would be hard is declaring war/peace on all factions

Reaction score
    Hmm. For the meantime, you could create a thread like this in Mod suggestions.

Reaction score
    Hmm. For the meantime, you could create a thread like this in Mod suggestions.
    You don't "need" a mod to do this (altough i do use a program to spread out mobs across a certain area)

you can just use /spawn_mobs to spawn mobs places and that would be "like" the pirates, the main probelm would be faction relation control and atm there are no mods (at least no mods that can be put up for download) that can do this.

Reaction score
    You don't "need" a mod to do this (altough i do use a program to spread out mobs across a certain area)

you can just use /spawn_mobs to spawn mobs places and that would be "like" the pirates, the main probelm would be faction relation control and atm there are no mods (at least no mods that can be put up for download) that can do this.
    There is a difference between mobs and Factions. Pirates aren't that interesting. They have no homeworld, or special ships.

Reaction score
    Assuming you didn't want random spawns. You could create a one man faction, set it to hostile to neutrals, then create a ship blueprint for them. From there you would spawn said ships, turn on the bobby AI's and they would attack/chase any ships that came in range. So the only real difference between what you want to do and what you can do is random spawns.

This is the closest to what I would want to do. Sadly without the "random spawns" it wouldn't really be an independent group.

To respond to some of the other post, I had never intended to make this thread as a suggestion but if you peeps feel it is a good idea go for it. Credit for an idea does not matter to me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    So what you really need is a mechanic by which an admin could give a faction random spawning ability. Also a list of faction ships blue prints they could spawn from. Or a mechanic where by the faction would be marked as an AI faction and a mechanic to add either random spawns like the pirates or attack-response spawns like trade guild or both.

Reactions: Zephlos
    Reaction score
    I already have the additional random spawning ability working for the TRA server, the major problem is that you can't spawn too many or you will start running into trouble with storage space

Reaction score
    So what you really need is a mechanic by which an admin could give a faction random spawning ability. Also a list of faction ships blue prints they could spawn from. Or a mechanic where by the faction would be marked as an AI faction and a mechanic to add either random spawns like the pirates or attack-response spawns like trade guild or both.
    Bingo!

Some scenarios in mind were, having "The Empire" with a fully built home base which would have also acted as the faction home, IE Death Star.
    Or simply having space police, that existed beyond the boundaries of the shops as i have shops set to rare.

Reaction score
    Bingo!

Some scenarios in mind were, having "The Empire" with a fully built home base which would have also acted as the faction home, IE Death Star.
    Or simply having space police, that existed beyond the boundaries of the shops as i have shops set to rare.
    Isn't it possible to rename the pirate faction? then you can just join it and give it a hombebase

Reaction score
    Isn't it possible to rename the pirate faction? then you can just join it and give it a hombebase
    (correct me please) As i understand it joining any of the AI factions causes them to go buggy, screws with random spawns kills the AI pilots ect.

Reaction score
    (correct me please) As i understand it joining any of the AI factions causes them to go buggy, screws with random spawns kills the AI pilots ect.
    Joining them doesn't do anything directly, leaving them does. I would still not recommend actually joining them with a playercharacter though; It is impossible to recover the npc factions if they get deleted/messed up since support for that kind of stuff isn't there yet