A possible compromise to the non-spherical planet issue

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Ever since I started playing Starmade, only one thing truly bothered me, and probably many others. I think you can guess what it is. Yup. The awkward-shaped disk planets. I know Schema tried to fix this, but my solution is a little outside-of-the-box. Why not to turn planets into seperate dimensions with infinite terrain, into which you get teleported into when you touch the planet's atmosphere? Maybe even with a little cutscene of your ship "entering" the atmosphere. Of course, there's a few issues.
    The first one is memory. Large and infinitely generated planets would take a lot of memory. This can be fixed by reducing the count of the planets, which is already planned anyways.
    Another issue is faction blocks. If planets were infinite, you would be able to claim it all with a single tiny cute faction module. This can be fixed by making them protect only a specific area, let's say 100x100x100. This would also encourage land warfare as planets can now be owned by multiple factions.

What do you guys think? Feedback in the comments would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
    Have you watched the dev q&a yet? They answered this question with double sided planets, and larger ones. It is a good idea, but please remember to do a bit more research before posting a suggestion.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I know that, but since it\'s not added yet, it can still be changed, esp. if it\'s for the better

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Already suggested and refused. Players like them integrated into the world.

Also: warping issues for projectiles of orbital strikes, etc.

I once suggested that a core is a diamont or cube, not buildable lava-atmosphere around (not blocks, but density until density becomes low enough for blocks to have space to appear.

Continents would float on top this lava atmosphere. Then you have water or dust inbetween continents, not blocks, but a fluid nebular thing which has abstract effects on your ships physics (floating, less thrust, handled as solid object, salvage continously until certain lower density limit is underrun and blocks appear semi-randomly on bottom before the density is low enough to see them (transparence of the abstract water/sand/lava)

It was also rejected by community, but I don\'t know if because of the idea or because players didn\'t understand what I meant.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Similar systems have been suggested before, but my problems with this one are twofold. One: infinite terrain isn\'t a good thing for StarMade, purely because it would destabilize the economy even further. Two: the best part about planets right now is how they truly feel like they are just part of the universe, through a lack of loading screens.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I still think this is btter then oreo planets, even if they\'re two-sided

Reaction score
    People disliked this idea and time and time again they\'ve said the same thing: It is a bad idea and it may make the game worse. So many reasons such as ringworlding and others...