A pack of changes that will improve the boarding concept

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Then, allow astronauts on board to "counter hack" so that hacking the door open takes longer.
    Meanwhile, the turrets of the ship the boarding party came in on are hammering your shields, giving them a countdown until they can use their rocket launchers ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This stupid torch should be removed. I really don't care about boarding but WHY is there no way to make rail/logic circuits safe from griefing while the shields are up just like it was possible before?
    It's already possible to grief all you want, just build a noob cube and drop the shields below 50%, all the small part the one you want to piss are gone with the next missile. It's easy enough. Now anyone can come in astronaut mode, find a deadspot of one of my anti personnal turret, and destroy just the right block (like rail or axis) so my work is fucked

Winterhome

Reaction score
    This stupid torch should be removed. I really don't care about boarding but WHY is there no way to make rail/logic circuits safe from griefing just like it was possible before?
    It's already possible to grief all you want, just build a noob cube and drop the shields below 50%, all the small part the one you want to piss are gone with the next missile. It's easy enough. Now anyone can come in astronaut mode, find a deadspot of one of my anti personnal turret, and destroy just the right block (like rail or axis) so my work is fucked
    Have you considered docking to a homebase...?

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    This stupid torch should be removed. I really don't care about boarding but WHY is there no way to make rail/logic circuits safe from griefing while the shields are up just like it was possible before?
    If you didn't dock the ship to a homebase, it's your fault.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    1 - The implementation of anti-astronaut turrets is a short-sighted way to counter boarding. It was supposed to create difficulties for a boarding party, but instead, makes it flat impossible, should the player have a minimum I.Q. of 5.

A better and more entertaining way for creating hazards for boarding parties is to improve the way the NPCs interact. Instead of turrets that focus on enemy astronauts on sight, NPCs could do this job inside a ship, and for a good bonus, gives them a function, since today they are pretty much useless.

A fire fight on a ship with lots of pew pew is a better idea and makes boarding difficult but STILL possible, now depending on your skill on shooting people. Shooting between astronauts is very enjoyed by people on build/creative servers and are never used on the actual game, so that's the chance.
    I want to focus specifically on this part of your suggestion since I like or am neutral (I mostly like it) about your suggestion overall. Anti Astronaut turrets should stay, simply for variety's sake. What could be done instead is to block the shield sharing on anti-personnel turrets, and remove the ability for other AI turrets to target astronauts all together to avoid a workaround. Rocket launchers and snipers (and hopefully new and more powerful lor later customizable weapons will show up) will be able to deal with turrets.

Now, on crew, this is a cool idea in and of itself. But because of the variable nature of a building game like this, they'd need some good AI and pathfinding. I don't know if it could be viable despite how cool it would be. Even on both ends as AI defenders and AI boarding parties. It would be a great idea, but is it really feasible?

It's already possible to grief all you want
    I'll never understand why people get upset about "griefing" when this is a multiplayer game with combat.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Now, on crew, this is a cool idea in and of itself. But because of the variable nature of a building game like this, they'd need some good AI and pathfinding. I don't know if it could be viable despite how cool it would be. Even on both ends as AI defenders and AI boarding parties. It would be a great idea, but is it really feasible?
    Minecraft mobs are pretty good at it these days, I hear. Definitely possible.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You guys are right I'm faulty for building things somewhere else than on homebase lol
    But why do you think there is so much faction of one people on multiplayer servers? You are maybe right buy if I follow you logic I can't play on a multiplayer server anymore

But now can someone tell me how starmade is related to combat between players? Any contact between two players will result in a griefing war as soon as one is disconnected. And when everything except the homebase is griefed it ends in insults or tears just like childrens.

See you in singleplayer

Reaction score
    I think once ships have a more reasonable way to repair themselves shields should be relooked at (at least in relation to turrets etc), so that astronauts can fight boarding turrets without being a legitimate threat to the mothership.

As for dealing with "griefers" you might want to look into better placement of anti-boarding guns , or hire some NPCs, or use one of the many, many options you have at your disposal (damage pulses are pretty much impossible to deal with as an astronaut). Honestly, the defender has every advantage. The game has a PVP element, boarding and ship stealing is part of that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    But now can someone tell me how starmade is related to combat between players?
    That is the primary function of multiplayer, people are going to want to engage in combat when they can. Unless it is explicitly a creative server, the guns on ships are not for show. "Griefing" has little to nothing to do with Starmade either, this is mostly a minecraft term.

Winterhome

Reaction score
    That is the primary function of multiplayer, people are going to want to engage in combat when they can. Unless it is explicitly a creative server, the guns on ships are not for show. "Griefing" has little to nothing to do with Starmade either, this is mostly a minecraft term.
    "Griefing" in Starmade generally involves exploiting game mechanics or involving yourself with otherwise unfair gameplay that destroys a player's will to continue playing. Things like spawn camping, build blocking bases with spies, etc. count.

PVP, though, doesn't. :P

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Hmm... I'm not sure I agree with all of this. Let's see-

1. Restricting ships' control systems is never a good thing. It's an artificial, specific piece of balancing that isn't very sustainable either, particularly if we're going to get programmable systems at any point in the future.

Of course, the ease with which one can install internal guns is an issue, but a solution should aim to resolve that issue rather patch over it. Bringing the strength of an astronaut up to par with that of a small turrets, with things like personal armor, better shield-bypassing guns or maybe even personal radar jammers is one idea. Making it risky for some reason to have turrets firing freely in your own ship, which seems kind of sensible, is another. Outright removing the ability to aim for an astronaut is not.

2. This does make sense, no complaints here.

3. Can't really discuss this without personal experience.

4. This seems to boil down to the same issue as #1- ships can't hurt themselves, making it very easy to indiscriminately hurt boarders. For the time being, your proposes solution might be the easiest.

5. Again, artificially limiting ships' control systems isn't a good idea. The anti-boaring measure you're describing is just the ship refusing to actively assist boarders, which seems perfectly reasonable. Besides, it's not like this is making boarding impossible. Boarders are under no obligation to be in gravity in the first place (gravity modules can be ignored, are triggers can be torched) and could just space-walk their way up the lift.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Have you considered docking to a homebase...?
    wtf, read on at the next part why

You guys are right I'm faulty for building things somewhere else than on homebase lol
    But why do you think there is so much faction of one people on multiplayer servers? You are maybe right buy if I follow you logic I can't play on a multiplayer server anymore

But now can someone tell me how starmade is related to combat between players? Any contact between two players will result in a griefing war as soon as one is disconnected. And when everything except the homebase is griefed it ends in insults or tears just like childrens.

See you in singleplayer
    don't you agree with them! don't you even try to!
    it's not fking fair that all your logic and rail work is being fked up!
    mkay i like the torch, but i am still a true logic engineer!
    what does this mean? always build at homebase and always dock at homebase?
    a second station may not have logic or rails? because that is not safe?
    because its then your own fault?
    people made auto docking systems! some griefing troll can come into your base and destroy all the logic.
    this is not a point to agree about, rails and logic are very easy to fk up with 1 block to destroy.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    5. Again, artificially limiting ships' control systems isn't a good idea. The anti-boaring measure you're describing is just the ship refusing to actively assist boarders, which seems perfectly reasonable. Besides, it's not like this is making boarding impossible. Boarders are under no obligation to be in gravity in the first place (gravity modules can be ignored, are triggers can be torched) and could just space-walk their way up the lift.
    Yet, the gravity is necessary to fit on strategic placed 1x1 tubes. Even if the astronault is free from gravity, he can't fit due to orientation.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Oh, like that. Not that I see how that's different from corrdidor-long doors, but it seems the solution would be to allow astronauts to orient themselves freely when aligned.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    1 - The implementation of anti-astronaut turrets is a short-sighted way to counter boarding. It was supposed to create difficulties for a boarding party, but instead, makes it flat impossible, should the player have a minimum I.Q. of 5.

A better and more entertaining way for creating hazards for boarding parties is to improve the way the NPCs interact. Instead of turrets that focus on enemy astronauts on sight, NPCs could do this job inside a ship, and for a good bonus, gives them a function, since today they are pretty much useless.

A fire fight on a ship with lots of pew pew is a better idea and makes boarding difficult but STILL possible, now depending on your skill on shooting people. Shooting between astronauts is very enjoyed by people on build/creative servers and are never used on the actual game, so that's the chance.
    There was a bug for a while that caused NPCs to get left behind when a ship jumps. That needs to be fixed right away if it hasn't already. Once that's fixed, totally agree.

4 - Another easy way to clean up your ship without any effort is the usage of pulses. Press one button and your ship is purged. This could be avoided by making entities that are aligned to a ship to be immune of the ship's own weapons.

If entity A (player or NPC) is alligned to ship B, B's weapons can't harm A.
    This should apply to being aligned to something in the same docking chain otherwise a docked pulse emitter will still massacre boarders.

5 - Another way of making boarding impossible is the usage of gravity lifts on small holes, with the usage of logic. A simple solution is making logic activation blocks and gravity modules usable for everyone. Area triggers already follow this rule, no matter the faction, so the concept can be re-used.
    NOPE.jpg
    This is just a bad idea. We need proper astronaut movement when out of gravity. We currently have a strange system where the astronaut cannot pitch or roll, which as everyone knows is absolutely unrealistic. This lack of realism is the cause of the problem you outlined, not a lack of logic control.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I believe that all of this just stems from the ideas from movies like star wars, by that I mean the idea that you can just hop onto a ship and one man army style destroy it. Bear in mind, really turrets are designed to be anti-personnel or used as anti-weaponry and do it efficiently. I agree that things like pulse purging is cheap, but in reality if someone wanted to, they could electrocute, gas or set you on fire with proper planning for boarding. Most of the times when you could board is when the shields are down and you ride a ship that would borrow into the ship's hull and take the bridge/core. Another thing about the complaints is that people are blocking up hallways and elevators. In reality, they would shut off the elevators, confine you in a box or if you get to them, barricade the doors with everything and I mean everything. With this, I do agree on the increased torch or hacking tool, because that would be used to bypass systems, but their should be no alert unless a NPC sees them, a turret or the player sees them, giving a more stealth aspect to boarding.