A new way to interact with information on starmade

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is a suggestion that will change the way we interact with our ship and his systems, not changing any game mechanic, but changing the way the information is presented to us. It will also add some more immersion to the experience of living inside of a ship, and in a scifi environment in general.

I present you two options to interact with you ship or station Core Computer, a personal tablet like thing, and a display block. The tablet is a personal item, and can be used outside of a ship. To interact with it you'll use the "T" key. The display block is something you will need to put down in your ship, wherever you want, and interact with it using "R".
    Depending on the place you're at (in space, in a station, in a ship), the info presented to you'll change.

When you enter the display block or personal tablet, you're entering an Operating System automatically connected to the ship or station you're in, and you can do anything from there. This could work like a android or iOS device, and have applications to control every aspect of your ship/station. (I'm suggestion it to work as a tablet OS because it's more hightech that way, and very intuitive, even a baby can use an iPad.)

This is what you can do now, and will be able to do in the future, with these Operating System. I'm separating it by Applications for the sake of simplicity:

- Ship App: A complete detailed info of the ship you're in. Mass, size, power regen, shields, total weapons power, acceleration details, blueprint price, etc. It will also enable you to control every single computer on your ship. Antimatter PC, Missiles PC, Turrets PC (suggestion thread here), Docking PC, Drones PC, etc... For each one you have a detailed list of items, and all the options can be changed from here.

[only available if you're in a ship]

- Station App: A complete list of all you faction or personal ships, with detailed info about each ship you own. You can also control all the catalog options from here, check blueprints your faction own, etc. In this app you'll also be able to manage plexstorage access options.

- Social App: With this app you can check players info, factions info, send emails, etc. You can also edit your character details, change appearance (skin), etc.

- Market App: Check prices from the shops around you (with a limit in range), check you personal shop info, auction house, etc..

- Production App: Check the detailed info about you faction or personal factory (what is it producing, production rates, check resources imput, etc). Check the info on your faction or personal shipyard. (current ships progress, resources input needs, etc)

- Universe App: Check all the information about the universe you want to know. A full 3D map, with detailed info about system names, faction home bases, etc... Use it for navigation, to add bookmarks for places, set waypoints (for fleet navigation), etc...

(As you can see I'm not getting into much detail, because I'm letting it open for development and game improvement over time. Also, getting in full detail will create a Wall of Text, and I want to avoid that, because I know you're lazy... )

All this apps need to have the most high-tech look as possible, and be very detailed. I see it getting really used, so it needs to be easy to use and pretty to look at.

They also need to interact with each other. For example, if I'm in the Social App, I can select a faction, and automatically change for the Universe App to check location details.

Discuss!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good thing, sadly, looks it does not attract that much ppl.
    This makes me think that great would be if some interface elements: |\\
    energy, shields, HP could be monitored on blocks(or this half blocks |_\\)...
    And other elements you talk about also, forcing you to design your cockpit more
    carefully + you have a chance to loose some parts of your cockpit in combat, which
    is always interesting (IL2 sturmovik experience)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This sounds amazing.

Android device controlled AI fleets, now that is the future!

Now, all I need is this to be implemented, and I can control my Death Stars while sitting safe in a 100 block thick hardened hull bunker at my secret faction home.

:P

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I wasn\'t thinking of that, but it\'ll lookk nice if the displays blocks are wedges (I think that\'s what you mean by \"|_\\\").

And yes, I was thinking about the ship crew members. Now, if you wanna have some crew members flying with you they,ll need to enter some computer block (AMC, Missiles, etc.)

In my suggestion, if you have a deck/cockpit zone, players can use the displays to do that, and controll parts of your ship for you, for instance, Turrets PCs. You can have someone being the Navigator of your ship, etc...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    As amazing as it sounds, it was not what I intended this to be. I\'ll quote my answer for that in another thread, where someone suggested that:

I love the remote control idea, but, and this is a big but, can not be implemented, unless very limited. Can you imagine someone remote controlling a ship, and not dieing after the core being destroyed? This could lead to many problems.
    If schema adds drones to the game, and this have some kind of limitations in size and etc.. I would love to see some remote controlling like you explained.

This is my opinion on remote control. Although, if you have a Drone Computer, connected to some drones docked on your ship, you can use a display to enter remote control, and control those drones. But only drones, and they need to be limited in size and range they can fly away.

Also, even using the tablet personal computer, you\'ll not be able to control some ship functions, if you\'re not inside it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    But that is an already possible feature. You can set a ship to be AI controlled, and it could be a drone, if small enough.

Remote control will only let you control 1 drone at a time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    well, they could upgrade the existing AI.

Missile: will chase and ram the enemy head on like a missile.

And a feature which means they can undock automatically when a pirate is near, and then redock when the threat has been removed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes, the AI options need some love. But let\'s not get away from the topic.

I know this is more of a cosmetic suggestion, but the information is a key point in life, and in games aswell. Do you guys think this suggestion could help with immersion?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Of course !
    ^^ (with display blocks also huhuuhu)

Immersion is a key feature for games with a low graphic/sound component.
    It can be created by simple, but rich environement x) This suggestions are a part of this
    environement.

Reaction score
    Give me all my information in hexagonal 3D holograms please!

And yes, I\'ll have some fries with that.