Planned A "filled" Galaxy

Reaction score
    I really enjoy Starmade, tis a great game and whatnot but I do have a few problems with it, which can be summed up like this:

The Galaxy feels somewhat empty.

Now, that statement is not entirely true because every system, even those in the void are filled with planets, derelicts, trading hubs, asteroids and pirates. However this creates an atmosphere "seen one system, seen them all".

Although recent updates have been very good I would like to see an update which fleshes out the galaxy somewhat and make it more interesting to explore. For example here are a few suggestions:

-Asteroids: Currently asteroids come in not many shapes and similar sizes, but why not add a much larger diversity of size and shapes to them? There could be big ones, small ones, hidden cave systems. Haven't you ever wanted to build a starbase on an asteroid, but were put off by the size.

-Ruins: A great addition to planets would certainly be some signs of life, or at least, suggestions of long gone life. The pyramids on desert planets are interesting but still somewhat lacking. Imagine landing on an alien world and finding some long lost city covered in purple moss. It would certainly be an interesting sight.

-Lifeforms: I've mentioned lifeforms once already but if you were to consider the idea a bit more there could be so much to do: Planets could have all sorts of lifeforms, which may or may not be hostile. Or perhaps you could find some aliens spores floating in spaces.

Those are just some ideas but there are many things that could be considered, inspiration could be taken from real life space phenomenons or those from science fiction. Really, I'd like to see a dynamic and interesting galaxy which is fun and rewarding to explore.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Most of this is planned one way or another. Please search through this forum, there are a ton of great threads you can add your thoughts to.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'd rather have a good sized single galaxy, with more different features on it, instead of the current layout we have on multiple galaxies. The concept of "starmade is infinite with 99999 possible galaxies" always sounded bland and impractical to me, I criticized this approach since the very beginning. Because no server can handle the amount of exploration done, and the players end up scattered and rarely having the possibility of an encounter, since we cannot pass the mark of 40 players without the game getting unplayable.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    As some have hinted, a lot is in the dev direction document, so a lot is planned. We'll be striking the balance ensuring that there's enough to engage with without it feeling cluttered, so void systems actually being void, and clusters of interest you need to discover.