A Few Thoughts on Updates

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Everyone always seems impatient for the next big update. The community hears what is planned, goes crazy, and wants it right now like a lot of excited children. That's all well and good, of course, but it's no reason to rush updates out too fast. In fact, the game might be more playable if features are fleshed out more before they are released.

Take the universe update for example. We're all looking forward to new star systems, galaxies, and anything else included along with it. It'll be fun exploring a vast new universe that's ripe for the taking! But to be fair, let's stop and think. If Schema releases it half-done, with the new structure and nothing else, servers will reset to take on the new shape of the universe, but perhaps miss out on some important improvements to planets.

It might be better to implement some of these ideas first:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/ideas-on-planet-generation.3782/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/dodecahedron-planet-improvement-ideas-old-and-new.3745/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/ability-to-select-stars.3521/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/procedural-background-for-planets.2201/
    That way, the fresh new universe would be full of new things and would be a lot more fun. Obviously, things are going to continue changing and all, and new things added that require us to explore new star systems, but it would be nice not to have a lot of boring planets near the spawn point with the old planet types and without any animals or interesting plant life.

Thoughts, anyone?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Uh... we're exited about the features by I rarely if ever see anyone pressuring schema to release them... I also agree with you, it's better to flesh out a feature before releasing it.

But guess what! That's what Schema already does! Unless he badly needs mass testing to be done, but we're all alpha testers after all :P

Reactions: Valiant70

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I thought the play testing that was done with the recent crafting update was really good. The dev server is the place for things like that, before the rest of the servers get the new game-changing content.

Reaction score
    Although I'm really looking forward to the new universe update, I certainly don't want to rush the process. It sounds like a lot of what is being update has been kept quiet, so who knows; we may be having those changes implemented already.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I've seen nothing that would imply that we even have the ability to effect their update schedule. I've also heard no official word (speculation by players is fine, but it's not official) on what the universe redesign actually IS. In fact, the only thing I've ever heard them say about it is that they're working on it and it's a secret. We're just excited because we like the game and we know there's something big over the horizon. I'm sure they understand that we don't want them to compromise the quality of their work just because we're impatient.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    The universe redesign will include (and this has been confirmed countless of times):
    • New terrain for planets.
    • Galaxies.
    • Stars that are actual stars.
    With most likely more things to do with the universe.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Are there any hints about how systems will be set up? Such as planets closer to the sun being hotter/drier? Or planets in the Goldilocks zone containing life? Stellar nebula? Supernova?