A decent Wiki of Everything

What do you think of the current explanations in the wiki ?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Many mechanisms and config files are rather vague, such as, setting available ships for factions (AI or otherwise), each line in the server config file, how AI is supposed to work, all the original key settings, including the hidden ones (ie TAB+F keys?), oh and simply, many many more.

Some settings seem ingame, some in the server config file, some in other files.

A good explanation for everything would be great.
    As a manager and former programmer it is good to set out "Description of Operations/wiki" as you finish each feature and provide a description for the intended use of everything (so we know if there is a bug).
    Doing this at the end is a disaster, especially as this game seems it will stay as an Alpha for all eternity.

Many admin commands and server config lines are vague, along with poor explanation of how simple things work.

I realise part of the attraction is to find out for yourself, but you need good sources of information to find out. Many YouTube videos are awful or outdated with the odd gem shining through. Asking on the StarMade chat is nice but depends on who is online and whether they are playing some obscure role play with themselves.

Get people working on the wiki that can write and explain operations, configurations and ideally people that know what they are talking about. Many of the wikis are either non existant (red links) or far too simple.

Use good video from people that explain without needing you to watch them build, block by block, their latest 8 floor battle cruiser in pink armour.

Plus, start adding more explanations to everthing (help on mouse hover for instance).

Examples;
    REMOVE_MODIFIED_BLUEPRINTS (which blueprints? in what folder? What do you class as modified?)
    BATTLE_MODE (Love the name, what is it, where is it properly explained?)
    ENABLE_SIMULATION (Does the game become real life if I make this false?)
    CONCURRENT_SIMULATION (A multi-verse? What is a simulation group?)

Try to understand, you program it, we want to understand how to play it...

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If you want an official wiki, we have one. At the top of the page you'll see "Wiki" between Download and Help. That is the only official wiki, and it is updated/edited by community members, not Schine.

Tutorial videos are bound to be outdated. The essescense of Alpha is the core features are still being worked on and there are placeholder systems used to let people at least try to play until we get the proper features. If you want good tutorial videos, I'd recommend looking at Bench 's videos. I believe he is the one that made the official tutorials on the front page of the site, and has a fairly simple to understand logic tutorial series for those who might not grasp logic at first.

Admin command additions and formula changes are normally mentioned in the news post for an update. Often times, a change of a formula is often just a bug being fixed.

whether they are playing some obscure role play with themselves.
    Welcome to chat. Lovely place, aint it?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I have looked at the wiki.
    It is both good and terrible at the same time.
    Some explanations are fantastic, others.......
    Perhaps I should look at trying to contribute if it is true we can add to it.
    :)

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I have looked at the wiki.
    It is both good and terrible at the same time.
    Some explanations are fantastic, others.......
    Perhaps I should look at trying to contribute if it is true we can add to it.
    :)
    Yes, anyone can edit the wiki. The only way that it's going to be "good" and updated, is if people contribute.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    The poll is a bit.... biased.

The wiki is being actively worked on, just make sure to look at the official wiki, not the ones that come up on google. Something should really be done about those unnoficial wikis tbh...

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I actively try to add my knowledge of the game to the wiki whenever possible since most of the time it is unloved and under written. however I don't know everything about the game (mostly things like factions, stats, logic, ect.) and can't write pages on subjects that i know very little about.

would very much appreciate anyone and everyone adding their knowledge to the wiki.