2ndary + Tertiary effects in Turret bases, PLUS new tab for Turrets

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Suggestion: Allow secondary and Tertiary weapon effects to be housed in the turret base.
    Connection could be made using wireless blocks, or by allowing any primary systems in the barrel to use any secondary/tertiary effect in the base in the weapons menu but not vise versa.

The current docked system can easily distinguish what entities are part of what so would prevent dis-jointed weapons systems.

This suggestion would merely allow players to have the possibility of making a host of new visually appealing turrets and give greater flexibility to player designs.
    With this implemented, players could chose to either house all everything in the barrel, house one of the secondary effects in the base of house 2 of the secondary effects in the base.

While you can sort of get around this with ball turrets, turrets such as these (bellow) should beable to be as very bit viable as they are while not affecting any current designs (just merely opening up new ones).

As part of a secondary suggestion, I would like to suggest a new tab is implemented (Turrets) which will automatically recognize any base-barrel joins ( SM already does this) on the selected ship and will list them.
    Different drop down menus can be created in this tab, and turrets put into them. Each drop down selection would have its own AI controls that could be controlled from this tab.

Thus, you could organise your turrets into Point defense, Anti-capital etc and change their orders as well as activate/deactivate them in groups rather than just turning everything on, or everything off.

To me, at least, this would be the next step forward in turret use and would make them much easier to use, and offer players more (fair) ways they could build them!

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I can see this suggestion being expanded into non-turret weapon systems, using modular effect pods or something.

I don't think secondary and tertiary effects were ever meant to effectively limit turret sizes or designs.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Not a new suggestion, but definitely a desirable one.

Edit: the latter part of the suggestion, re: better turret menus (presumably alongside a Structure Menu update) is new. The above statement only applies to the former part, "Make turrets smaller by letting the base carry some of the weapons".

Reactions: Koloss_Meshuggah
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I can see this suggestion being expanded into non-turret weapon systems, using modular effect pods or something.

I don't think secondary and tertiary effects were ever meant to effectively limit turret sizes or designs.
    I was also thinking about creating ships that use modular weapon pods you could stick on your ship to change between different 2nd and 3rd effects son your ships primaries :3
    Would need to be limited to ships only (for balance).
    Speaking of expanding it, I would love to see it applied in different ways so we can have complete control over our ships ^_^

Reaction score
    I'm only posting because that turret looked so good. I would suggest calling off the gremling on the largest turret barrels.

[1] Yes, maybe, ish, the problem is this limits weapons like pure cannon and pure beam. Maybe a ratio of you need 1:10 barrel:base, extending through all the different types. So pure weapons wouldn't be punished.

How? Unless you docked the ship to the effect pod, it wouldn't transfer. It'd be cool if you could do that, with modular design and stuff, but it'd be to exploitable with how docking works right now. We'll come back to it.

[2] This would be so useful for anyone with a big ship! An easier turret control system, maybe more options for targeting. Just a mostly simple change could help so much!

Reaction score
    [1] Yes, maybe, ish, the problem is this limits weapons like pure cannon and pure beam. Maybe a ratio of you need 1:10 barrel:base, extending through all the different types. So pure weapons wouldn't be punished.
    Does having secondary and tertiary effects in the base result in a significant/substantial combat advantage? (e.g. how do shields for turret base vs barrel work at the moment?) If the punishment is purely visual that's much less problematic than if there is substantial game-play advantage to having effects in the base.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Does having secondary and tertiary effects in the base result in a significant/substantial combat advantage? (e.g. how do shields for turret base vs barrel work at the moment?) If the punishment is purely visual that's much less problematic than if there is substantial game-play advantage to having effects in the base.
    Weapon DPS is based on overall block count (primary+secondary+effect, just keep in mind that secondary and effect can't exceed primary). So the problem Nickizzy points out is quite valid; for a pure cannon weapon to have the same DPS as one with a secondary and effect, it would need the same block count, but all of that block count would have to be in the barrel, making it necessary for the barrel to be at least 3x larger than it would have to be with a secondary and effect in use instead.