2 wedges act as full blocks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    hi

this is just a small sagestion about the use of wedges.

i was hoping to beable to do somthing like this:
    Capture.PNG
    where there are 2 wedges that make up one block. curently the only way to do this is to have docked entitys but this is inpractical most of the time. i think this will help alot with things like this:
    Capture1.PNG

Attachments

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    2 wedges that make up one block
    Would be incredibly useful to have, but it would require some creative coding to put two voxels into the space of one on the same entity (read: unlikely to happen anytime soon, if possible at all).

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    No.

The easiest and best way to do this would be having a unique block ID for every possible combo, which is a lot of our limited id's gone.

Reaction score
    hi

this is just a small sagestion about the use of wedges.

i was hoping to beable to do somthing like this:
    View attachment 19552
    where there are 2 wedges that make up one block. curently the only way to do this is to have docked entitys but this is inpractical most of the time. i think this will help alot with things like this:
    View attachment 19553
    A really needed feature. I hate that diagonal lines that are flush with the hull have to be pixely.

No.

The easiest and best way to do this would be having a unique block ID for every possible combo, which is a lot of our limited id's gone.
    You seem like one of those veteran players who think they know everything.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    You seem like one of those veteran players who think they know everything.
    Your underestimating the sheer number of possibilities, especially after adding all the special slabs. Then there has to be space for all the other blocks that need adding for the game to be completed, and then space for mods.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Also the fact that since each combination will require it's own unique texture, would mean that each block would take up 1 new ID. Which is incredibly wasteful. Slabs can get away with it to my knowledge, as they are an extension TO the block, meaning they don't require unique IDs. (see the textures they use, exact same as the full-size variant, excluding cargo spaces)

Also, therimmer is quite an old player, and he does know quite a lot about how the game works.

Reaction score
    True
    91 wedges currently
    91^2 = 8281 combinations
    maybe schema could solve it some other way in the future...

Reaction score
    And Lex Rimmeri is the only way it can work? Maybe pulling this off requires thinking outside the cube...

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It could be easily done, if all players were willing and able to buy far better computers.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    The other major easy way would be to give each entity 2 voxel grids. The problem with that is: the size of each entity in the memory is doubled, and the 2nd grid is MOSTLY empty.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Also the fact that since each combination will require it's own unique texture, would mean that each block would take up 1 new ID. Which is incredibly wasteful. Slabs can get away with it to my knowledge, as they are an extension TO the block, meaning they don't require unique IDs. (see the textures they use, exact same as the full-size variant, excluding cargo spaces
    They do use unique IDs, and for that matter unique textures. Check the block config and t002.
    And Lex Rimmeri is the only way it can work? Maybe pulling this off requires thinking outside the cube...
    "Nothing is impossible" is an unfortunately common misconception. Without tons of IDs being used up or a laggier block system (and, like, a year and a half of redoing existing mechanics to fit it) you really can't do this.

Reaction score
    "Nothing is impossible" is an unfortunately common misconception. Without tons of IDs being used up or a laggier block system (and, like, a year and a half of redoing existing mechanics to fit it) you really can't do this.
    unlikely to happen anytime soon, if possible at all

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My idea as a solution to this problem was the master-slave mechanic. Place the primary wedge where you want it to go, as normal. Then select that wedge as a master, and select an opposing block as the slave. The game then "paints" the missing wedge in, based on the look of the slaved block. The block still has all the aspects of the master wedge, but there is no longer a hole, because the slaved block is "painted in". Heptas and Pentas are paintable together as opposing blocks.

Example using the first picture in the OP:
    Assuming that the "original" or "master" block is the grey armor wedge, you would need to add a full blast-door block (or wedge) somewhere on the structure, to use as a slave, in order to paint in the hole of the grey armor wedge with a blast-door wedge. The added blast-door block would be slaved to the grey armor block, so that a blast-door wedge would be "painted in" with the grey armor wedge.

The downsides: You will need at least one block of the opposing type of block to use as the slave block, before you can "paint in" the hole.
    There is no "opposing" shape to the corner wedge, so the game would have to literally "paint" the missing area with the slave block. Could create some funky visuals, especially with translucent master corner wedges.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Why not have the game treat wedges placed on wedges as a separate entity docked to the ship without a docker? Every entity/ship would have this invisible factor that wedges that go on other wedges get placed on.

In a nutshell, it would give you the same effect as using a docked entity to put wedges together, but you don't need a dock, the game passively does it for you.

schema , would this be possible? People already do it on their ship, but using dockers for the second entity.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The block still has all the aspects of the master wedge
    would this work with doors? the way i read this it would act like a whole block of the master but with one half using the texture of the slave (correct me if i have misunderstood). this would mean if you made a door the slave and a hull the master then the door wont open and if you make the door the master and the hull the slave then the hull will open with the door. to me that doesn't quite work. please don't misunderstand i like your idea i just don't think it would work in all cases.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    would this work with doors? the way i read this it would act like a whole block of the master but with one half using the texture of the slave (correct me if i have misunderstood). this would mean if you made a door the slave and a hull the master then the door wont open and if you make the door the master and the hull the slave then the hull will open with the door. to me that doesn't quite work. please don't misunderstand i like your idea i just don't think it would work in all cases.
    In my mind, it would work with the door. I think you are understanding correctly.

Door slaved to hull: door won't open. In this case, the door texture is simply a decoration for the hull wedge. (I don't consider it a sin to use a plex door as a decorative block: I used plex door as ramp/stair decoration in my YT-1930 J version 2 ship, available on Community Content.) The master block controls the behavior as well as the block stats.

Hull slaved to Door: This would need to be a special case, where the painted-in hull block would remain visible while the door opened. Weapons would not pass through this block, but would instead damage the master door wedge, even though it is open. That way, weapons don't "magically" pass through hull/armor that is the slave decoration of an open door.