Using RegEx to improve Starmade CPUs

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Technically we could use display blocks' capability to perform RegEx operations to minimize and simplify logic operations in SM. Did anybody thought about it or was doing any research regarding this idea?

Reaction score
    What I mean is, using the display block to replace logic blocks is a change to the game that will split the player community between those who like to code and those who have no interest in coding and only want to place blocks.

The ships using these 'code boxes' will potentially be superior to ships using 'vanilla' logic which might at its extreme might have negative effects on the fun of PvP game-play (speaking from experience in another similar game).

Personally I'd only be excited about expanding the remit of display blocks if it was to do things that can't be done with normal logic blocks. Not duplicating logic blocks' functionality.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding you...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What I mean is, using the display block to replace logic blocks is a change to the game that will split the player community between those who like to code and those who have no interest in coding and only want to place blocks.

The ships using these 'code boxes' will potentially be superior to ships using 'vanilla' logic which might at its extreme might have negative effects on the fun of PvP game-play (speaking from experience in another similar game).

Personally I'd only be excited about expanding the remit of display blocks if it was to do things that can't be done with normal logic blocks. Not duplicating logic blocks' functionality.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding you...
    You don't need to replace anything. Devs don't need to do anything, we ALREADY have tools to do that. I just wonder if someone was designing such system since latest update.

Advanced logic is mostly useless in PvP anyway. So I don't get your point about superiority in PvP.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Those are arguments for introducing lua. RegEx is in game right now.
    Lua is in game right now. You can find and modify Lua scripts in the data/scripts subfolder in the game.

Reaction score
    Advanced logic is mostly useless in PvP anyway. So I don't get your point about superiority in PvP.
    Perhaps not with the logic available at this time, but I'm thinking ahead to what happens when one starts letting players write their own scripts in-game. Next it's "can we have scripts access to do this or that" and then it's waves of micro drones with ridiculously evasive scripted AIs swarming all over everything. Not to mention the potential for actually making more lag, not less, as a result of badly written scripts.

As I mentioned in the other thread, letting users script in-game is something that has to be done carefully or it can end up ruining things instead of improving things.

Making things work with logic blocks is fun, sitting down and writing a box of code less so, unless one just likes coding anyway.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Lua is in game right now. You can find and modify Lua scripts in the data/scripts subfolder in the game.
    Lua is more like "sort of" in game.

Perhaps not with the logic available at this time, but I'm thinking ahead to what happens when one starts letting players write their own scripts in-game. Next it's "can we have scripts access to do this or that" and then it's waves of micro drones with ridiculously evasive scripted AIs swarming all over everything. Not to mention the potential for actually making more lag, not less, as a result of badly written scripts.

As I mentioned in the other thread, letting users script in-game is something that has to be done carefully or it can end up ruining things instead of improving things.

Making things work with logic blocks is fun, sitting down and writing a box of code less so, unless one just likes coding anyway.
    Using RegEx as a tool to modify data, instead of logic gates, would only minimize circuits, but it's still nothing compared to full-blown lua support in game.
    Don't expect PvP influential logic.