StarMade Dev Update: Introducing Faction Points

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Well... that was unexpected... . Hope it works as intended. Is there still some neutral space between faction space to not always start an intruder alarm?

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Well... that was unexpected... . Hope it works as intended. Is there still some neutral space between faction space to not always start an intruder alarm?
    The alert is only the system (16x16x16 sector) position and the kind of signal (ally, neutral, enemy), so to find out who that is you have to have someone to go there and scan. thats your window of time (also jammers will be factored in)

Reaction score
    Looks like the NPC system is finally coming together lads.

As always, best of luck to the devs and happy testing to the rest of you :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is awesome news, but uh... Meh. Test server's down. :I

Also, Schema, 2/3rds of the reason everyone wanted chairs was that we wanted to be able to control ships without getting sucked into the core. Mechanics like that for the current ability to sit are planned, right?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This game has sure come a long way since I discovered it over a year ago. I don't regret it one bit purchasing the game way back then. :) Keep up the great work, StarMade appears to be going well beyond my expectations.

Reactions: Mariux and Saber

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Very awesome. I will check this out soon. I was just talking about scanners the other day too. I want to scan all the things :P I hope other types are released for things like ore and stuff or planet scanning. Unless of course its already a part of this system

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    Dude... Honestly, why did you make it so we have to place a bunch of unneeded blocks in our ship just to use the scanning equipment for our ships and stations? And seriously? It eats up a lot of power too? There's a few things I see wrong with this, one is that we have to gut out all our ships again if anyone wants to use scanners or will take up more space. But why? Just for something this simple? And is the enormous power consumption necessary? We would basically have to build specialized ships just to scan sectors which is a bit much.

With the upcoming new Universe design, we will no doubt need scanners to detect dangers like Black Holes, solar flares, or whatever other space hazards will be put in. The idea of having this work just like the jumpdrives to me absolutely ruins it, I really don't see how scanners could be considered Overpowered without the current method. Why can't people with armed ships and such be able to use them? Not only do we have to refit our vessels, but we most likely can't use scanners when moving because of the massive power consumption combined with shielding, jumpdrives, thrusters, and weapons.

Reactions: Njord

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Dude... Honestly, why did you make it so we have to place a bunch of unneeded blocks in our ship just to use the scanning equipment for our ships and stations? And seriously? It eats up a lot of power too? There's a few things I see wrong with this, one is that we have to gut out all our ships again if anyone wants to use scanners or will take up more space. But why? Just for something this simple? And is the enormous power consumption necessary? We would basically have to build specialized ships just to scan sectors which is a bit much.

With the upcoming new Universe design, we will no doubt need scanners to detect dangers like Black Holes, solar flares, or whatever other space hazards will be put in. The idea of having this work just like the jumpdrives to me absolutely ruins it, I really don't see how scanners could be considered Overpowered without the current method. Why can't people with armed ships and such be able to use them? Not only do we have to refit our vessels, but we most likely can't use scanners when moving because of the massive power consumption combined with shielding, jumpdrives, thrusters, and weapons.
    ...Ooor, you could build a dedicated scanning/scout ship, and/or be in a faction that has one... I see your point, but you can expect lots of things kind of like this; not every ship is supposed to be able to do everything. However, a shorter-range scanner won't take up tons of space or power in your ship anyway, so if I were you I wouldn't worry too much.

Reaction score
    ...Ooor, you could build a dedicated scanning/scout ship, and/or be in a faction that has one... I see your point, but you can expect lots of things kind of like this; not every ship is supposed to be able to do everything. However, a shorter-range scanner won't take up tons of space or power in your ship anyway, so if I were you I wouldn't worry too much.
    I understand that having a ship that can do everything would be a bit much, but I just think something as simple as scanners should be something that most ships should be able to have. I agree with having specialized ships for various purposes, but the current system for scanners is like forcing people to gut our their thrusters completely just to add a few shield blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I get the impression that the scanners are only for finding people that are somewhere else in the system (as in in a different sector in the same system). If you're using your weapons or shields then I'm guessing you're close enough that you no longer need to use your scanner.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

I assume that small sized scanners would be just as effective at detecting hazards (if that is indeed an upcoming mechanic), but less effective at detecting moving ships. It would balance so that ships actually get a chance of not being scanned if there isn't a dedicated scanning ship ready. (And personally, I like having more types of "guts" in ships. It makes them feel more real.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This is the end of homebase protection then? Or will we get an option to continue to use it?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations

The mention about refitting vessels isn't even a compelling argument to me. It's pre release additions. Did you expect no new blocks to be added? I think the power reuirements could be a bit lower. I also am wondering how the percentage requirement effects the system. Does it charge faster or pick up more information or extend range? No clue. I think it should be based on whether your scanner can detect ships (based on mass) over distance. Small ship - hard to find. Titan - Massive scan spike. The information it displays is pretty awesome though. The more systems we are forced to fit into ships the better IMO. It will balance out all the people that only care about pushing shields and weapon systems to the max.