When is this old issue going to recieve attention by the devs ?

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I'm pretty sure all of you know the ancient issue of recieving an extreme FPS drop AND server lag when you try to dock more then one medium-to-big sized ship on a space station (mostly, homebases).

It's been so much time, and that issue is still untouched (recently noticed when I've got back into faction fleet management again). I'd like to know if there was some advance on it.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    IDK, I never had such problems... Though I guess it depends on what you consider "big". recently docked a 400m long ship and it didn't lag at all.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I've noticed lag issues when two large entities have their boxdims go inside eachother. The lag that occurs when someone tries to dock to NFD's Homebase on GenXNova is ridiculous. I normally get around 200 FPS around their base, but the moment someone has their boxdims hit eachother, I get a crippling 5-10 FPS.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    The lag is caused by the collision system, when two entities have overlapping box-dims the game starts running collision checks to see if they collide. This will most likely be altered in the future to omit unnecessary collision checks between ships and the entity they are docked too (not including turrets), in the mean time you can avoid it by making sure the box-dims of your ship do not overlap with those of you're station.

Tip: turning off v-synch both in game and in your computers graphics settings is a great and simple way to get noticeable performance boosts across the board.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Though I guess it depends on what you consider "big". recently docked a 400m long ship and it didn't lag at all.
    Docking one single ship, even a titan is fine for me, but two ships, even being "small" (say, 100k blocks ?) is a pain for both the server and my FPS
    [DOUBLEPOST=1438199757,1438198994][/DOUBLEPOST]And one more thing : by the shape and method of my current temporary docks on my homebase, there is no possibility of my ships bypassing each other's boxdims'. Still, the issue continues.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe this is already being done, but I can imagine the workload being slightly less terrible by first checking overlaps of sectors (16^3) before checking individual voxels.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, this is becoming a serious problem, and in fact with shipyards using the same systems it's just going to get worse unless schema does something about it... Would delay the release, sure, but it would probably be worth it.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Most people try to overcome this issue by simply not docking to homebases, but hiding the ships on a place far, far away on empty space.
    But yea, with shipyards, this issue will become even worse, since ships WILL come from a station.

I hope the devs know what they are doing by focusing this. If it's bad right now, it can get worse.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I remember getting that issue back on Elwyn eternity when I wanted to dock Charon. Every time I'd get close to the dock my fps would drop to shit along with my acceleration since it's tied to fps for some stupid ass reason. This would cause me to either overshoot, collide with the dock or just lose sight of it from janky turning...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't think anything is built to handle things quite that big. :P

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I don't think anything is built to handle things quite that big. :p
    that's what she said

Perhaps, but I think with some optimization of how the game does collision detections it would be less of an issue. For example, how about objects that are both going slow having less frequent collision checks? If your station is, well, stationary, and your ship is moving 2m/s inside the station's boxdims, you shouldn't need as many collision checks per second as two ships about to collide at 100m/s.

Reactions: BDLS

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That might help. As long as it doesn't mean we get janky physics at slow speeds AND high speeds. :P

Reaction score
    I don't do big ships and a lot of turrets a lot, but I've noticed here on the forums and in chats that collision checks are one of the biggest causes of lag right now.
    -
    My idea(s) for rail/docking collision checks:

PD turrets seem to be a pretty bad source of lag (judging by Kep's discussion on how much his frames drop when his turrets move). How about when they initially dock it performs a "full" collision check to determine the range of motion of the turret, then it stops performing constant collision checks and just restricts the turret's range of motion to that area.

Same for larger turrets, I guess.

For ships I don't know, I guess if it's constantly performing collision checks then reduce it to only one collision check upon docking and then more when it moves/undocks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    that's what she said

Perhaps, but I think with some optimization of how the game does collision detections it would be less of an issue. For example, how about objects that are both going slow having less frequent collision checks? If your station is, well, stationary, and your ship is moving 2m/s inside the station's boxdims, you shouldn't need as many collision checks per second as two ships about to collide at 100m/s.
    I like this. I admit I don't know anything about the code, but if collision checks/time can be modified depending on whats going on, that would be amazing. Especially on turrets.

Reactions: Dellexe and Lecic