StarMade News - November 9th 2015

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Yeah, but right now we use multiple storage blocks for sorting and storage. Say we wanted to be able to sort (for extraction) but use a common storage area (for capacity). Will we be able to do that, or will we have to set seperate storage areas for each? So like say I want 1 big storage area, but then I want to be able to push and pull from it with different storage blocks and factories.

Another question came to mind. So say for instance that you keep your storage...going to call the old blocks lockers for convenience sake..lockers in your high security core area and you have your big cargo hold with the storage. So your ship gets boarded and they break into your cargo hold without taking control of the ship. Will they be able to take items directly from there or is it still going to all be controlled by the locker?
    One storage block per cargo area. If you want your cargo areas to look consolidated you can place multiple cargo areas next to each other and connect to their equivalent storage blocks but you can't connect one cargo area to multiple storage blocks.

If they shoot the crates in your cargo area and destroy them the crates will drop their contents regardless of the state of the storage block they're connected to. However storage blocks will still work as storage blocks, so if you want to keep highly valuable items in a small secure place then you can always just use storage blocks as storage blocks.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1447114890,1447114845][/DOUBLEPOST]
    daves gonna have a bad time
    [DOUBLEPOST=1447114571,1447114356][/DOUBLEPOST]similar to what Dire Venom said.

will cargo boxes have weight to them? meaning will adding more cargo boxes increase the entity's mass? if so, by how much?
    Yes, and can't say by how much as that number hasn't been determined yet.

Reactions: Crimson-Artist

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    One storage block per cargo area. If you want your cargo areas to look consolidated you can place multiple cargo areas next to each other and connect to their equivalent storage blocks but you can't connect one cargo area to multiple storage blocks.

If they shoot the crates in your cargo area and destroy them the crates will drop their contents regardless of the state of the storage block they're connected to. However storage blocks will still work as storage blocks, so if you want to keep highly valuable items in a small secure place then you can always just use storage blocks as storage blocks.
    wait, that would mean that in order to do that storage containers will need to be nerfed to have only a a few stack slots. if cargo is going to be the preferred method of storage then does that also mean that the storage block is infinitely expandable? for instance adding more cargo area blocks will keep adding stack slots to the storage.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    wait, that would mean that in order to do that storage containers will need to be nerfed to have only a a few stack slots. if cargo is going to be the preferred method of storage then does that also mean that the storage block is infinitely expandable? for instance adding more cargo area blocks will keep adding stack slots to the storage.
    correct

Reaction score
    That's another good question. I bet Bench regrets posting this already! LOL. Thanks for the answers, sorry we keep coming up with more questions. Sounds like it's going to be interesting.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    interesting. so no plans for a cap? if you wanted to you could connect one million cargo area blocks to a single storage container and it will have one million stack slots?

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    that would be a good idea, and I thought this. what if storage blocks can only store one type of item (such as grey hulls, or logic block but can be stored in their corresponding groups) and each cargo area adds more room for more stacks of said item to be stored.
    that could work quite well, but then again that would make a need for an excessive amount of storage blocks for each type of item. well I guess I need to work on that thought a bit more.

Reaction score
    So if you have a full cargo hold and it starts getting shot up, you become...dum,dum,dum...a loot pinata! Love it!

interesting. so no plans for a cap? if you wanted to you could connect one million cargo area blocks to a single storage container and it will have one million stack slots?
    Don't give them any ideas! Bad enough we got the power softcap! Seriously, though, why should it be a problem, other than faction home I can't see anyone wanting to.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What tantalizes me about this update is the potential for...
    yarr, harr, feedle-dee-dee...
    Piracy! Plundering! Profit! Yo-ho!

...There's also the whole freighters-being-a-thing thing, too, but ye get my point.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    What will happen to the multislots? Will each block in a multislot count against a stack? or will they all have the same cap (Example, if 1000 is the cap, can you have all five types of grey hull at 1000 in one multistack, which takes up one spot. Or, can you only have a maximum of 1000 blocks of all types in one slot, regardless of multistack?)

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    What will happen to the multislots? Will each block in a multislot count against a stack? or will they all have the same cap (Example, if 1000 is the cap, can you have all five types of grey hull at 1000 in one multistack, which takes up one spot. Or, can you only have a maximum of 1000 blocks of all types in one slot, regardless of multistack?)
    Good question, we'll go one way or the other. See what Schema thinks.

Also reminder guys we'll also be having our live Q&A session with the developers in a little under a week so start thinking about questions for then as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Can you give us an idea of the compression ratio of blocks to storage area? Is it 1:1? In other words, if I want to store 1000 hull blocks do I need 1000 cubic meters of storage area?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Can you give us an idea of the compression ratio of blocks to storage area? Is it 1:1? In other words, if I want to store 1000 hull blocks do I need 1000 cubic meters of storage area?
    No, otherwise we would just ask that you place it down physically. Stacks may or may not be based on each individual block. There will be a limit to a stack, and certain blocks hit that limit faster than others. Think in terms of mass if you want an idea. Heavier items need more cargo space. At least that was one idea, it might be easier to go another route.

With that said, expect a stack to encompass between a few hundred to a couple thousand blocks. There may also be ways to increase that limit based on how you handle your cargo but that again is not entirely fleshed out yet.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think, like power, this may be an opportunity for some kind of thing that's better but that also explodes. Something like hyperspace storage units. :P

Reaction score
    When you say a "stack" do you mean a 1 cubic meter area of physical storage?
    A stack means a stack. We have stacks now. I certainly hope we get more than 1 stack per cube. I'm pretty sure what the right amount is is only going to be found out with some playtesting. Right now I don't know how much I'd consider reasonable...less than we get now per storage locker I guess but surely more than 1.