Starlaunch - WIP launcher replacement [Now released on Windows, Mac and Linux]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    ugh, it is THAT mistake I made and I thought I fixed it.
    instead of downloading the actual file, it downloaded a generated html file. No wonder it didn't work.
    Download this for now until I have fixed the installer.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    the installer is fixed.
    a redownload isn't required unless you had problems with executing the updater.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Bit of an update

I know I said i would fix a few of the issues with the program, but I kinda lost motivation to even starmade, let alone make this. Sorry about that :s

I am currently on holiday, and without a real computer, my brain started to do that think where ideas happen (hurt 'n' everything).

As soon as I get back, I am going to be doing an entire new version of starlaunch (maybe 2, regular and a lite that can go on USB sticks. o_O). This will be a complete, ground up rebuild, and have lots of awesomes in it. It will have all the same features as the current one, but better!

I will show what I mean when I have gathered my thoughts and made Something.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Quick update on the new version (nothing to show yet though :( )

You know how this site has the community content section? how cool would it be if the launcher had a version that would instantly install the mod/ship/station to the installations you have selected? pretty cool right? well i decided to do that. To have a thing added to this section, simply PM me the URL of it's page here :)

I have only done background work for this, along with a basic crappy prototype which is so bad that I won't share it in any way, but now the basic system is done, shouldn't be long until something is released, although based on how many times i have said that in this thread, don't hold me too it ;)

Does anyone have suggestions for the style of the UI? I know the sort of layout I want, but the style is undecided, and will probably involve a fair amount of arguing with @Crusade again :)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    You know how this site has the community content section? how cool would it be if the launcher had a version that would instantly install the mod/ship/station to the installations you have selected? pretty cool right? well i decided to do that. To have a thing added to this section, simply PM me the URL of it's page here
    Or you could just set up a little html parser :P

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Or you could just set up a little html parser :p
    I want complete control over everything. I could cheat and use the built in .NET web browser item, but that is lazy, and I can't control the web pages. I want as much control as I can get :)

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So I was screwing around with the UI today, not done any actual code, just screwing around with images and placement, and I have something I am actually quite happy with for once :D

This is an actual application, so not something made in PS that gets your hopes up, only not to be able to get it perfect :)

A few things will change, for example, the launch button will be changed to "launch game", and a few other tweaks. I am actually quite enjoying the minimalist block colour style.

*edit - updated image with minor tweaks*

Opinions?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Reilly Reese

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Just finished porting the news reader from the current starlaunch to the new one

The text formatting may be a little weird because it is optimised for the site, and I don't want a web browser in the window as that feels abit tacky, so I have added a button that will allow you to read it on the site.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Starlaunch now has a diagnostics section! It is powered by SMC, the tool the official tester team uses to determine if someone's PC is capable of playing starmade. Thanks to @fire219 for creating it, and allowing me to include it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    While I understeand reason why You use this font, it makes reading info so painfull...

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    While I understeand reason why You use this font, it makes reading info so painfull...
    I understand completely, I though the exact same, some of areas such as the news feed has been changed to Arial Regular for easy reading :)

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    If anyone has any suggestions as too features StarLaunch could provide, suggest them below :)

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Server List with IPs for top ten Starmade servers!

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Server List with IPs for top ten Starmade servers!
    that would require me finding out how the ingame query system works, I have asked Schema about this before, he seemed reluctant to give it me, or I could ask all the servers for their starmade-servers.com API codes, but that would allow me to interfere with a few things (not that I would, but people have to think security), or I could HTML parse the site itself, which I really CBA doing :/

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Basically, I am lazy and really don't want to set up a HTML parser. I have no experience with HTML, and honestly, don't want any :)

So unless schema decides to reveal the query system too me (which I don't want to ask for because I am waiting for a skype response about something else, don't want to pile up requests ;) ), or the servers all send me their API code, not gonna happen (I had this idea a long time ago for the first version of SL, didn't happen for the same reasons).

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Well it's an idea for a later date.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    How about regular expressions @therimmer96 ?

Basically you can search for a "class=\"server", then maybe the next "<div" ... Then start reading at the next ">" and stop at the next "<" one after another.

Or build a Tree (like in explorer.exe) and do like in ((1, 2, 3, 4)or(3b, 4b));
    1. search for "<", read tag name, any amount of white-space ("class" before("/" or ">"), "=\"", read classes, "\"") or("/" before(">"), any amount white-space, ">") or(">", read tag-content into a deeper level of your Tree, "</")
    read tag-content = start a new instance of step 1 before continuing.
    read classes = separate them by white-space after you found the second quote char.

But there are also finished solutions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.