Standard vs Advanced Armor vs Thrust: Viable?

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Greeting everyone,
    Since a few changes ago and maybe since the newest, has anyone else noticed something a bit different with the thrust output?? or maybe its in conjunction with the type of blocks being used now, IDK, but something is going on. My fighters all had well above Thrust:Mass ratio's ,but now..... I am barely at 50% vs Mass, and this is with my edited configs:

<MulTotalThrust>1.4</MulTotalThrust>

I use the 1.4 instead of 1.0. I know it's not a whole lot and it's only because I needed my Heavy Cruiser to achieve near Thrust:Mass and well, lol at the 1.0 config it started subtracting thrust, so I edited and reloaded till I achieved what I felt it should've been at. Now that I have stated this, I can get on to what is puzzling me....

Pictured below is the same ship but one is using Standard Armor and the other is using Advanced Armor:

The EA_Starfury_SA is the Standard Armor version. Defense points are less than 100 difference? but Armor is over 10,000 in difference? Mass isn't all that much different either. So what is going on with the thrust output? They stay the same regardless of Standard or Advanced, I thought maybe there may have been some type of thrust nerf with the Advanced Armor being used, but this is not the case. And Remember, this is with my 1.4 edit, when I used to achieve over Thrust:Mass. So on a standard server it's going to be even lower....

So now I need the Community's Suggestion as to what you think is going on or what should we suggest to balance or fix what ever is happening, or is this something that others just haven't noticed??

Some things that came to mind while writing:

Should we get more Defense points for the Advanced Armor?
    Should the Mass be reduced for Standard Armor?
    Should Thrust be fixed or we could just wait till the Thrust overhaul?
    Should we get more Structure from using Advanced Armor?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    First of all, the ratings (Offense, Defense, Mobility, whatever) are broken, and this is known. Ignore them for now; they're being balanced and fixed but I have no idea when they'll reach a meaningful, balanced state.
    Second of all, Standard and Advanced Armor are now heavier than system blocks and Hull but protect from a lot more damage. This has been so since the HP update.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Use the advanced if you are going to go full brick armour tank, use standard if the ship is expected to take damage but should be able to have decent movement

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thrust is not affected by your ship's weight. Thrust is merely a parameter of your thruster total output. It is only then taken against the ship's weight to determine your ship's max speed and acceleration, which is represented by mobility score.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Thrust is not affected by your ship's weight. Thrust is merely a parameter of your thruster total output. It is only then taken against the ship's weight to determine your ship's max speed and acceleration, which is represented by mobility score.
    Ahh thank you!

and to the rest, thank you for the information, I have been out of the loop since moving.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ahh thank you! Also, Shouldn't the weight of the Advanced affect thrust? Since it is heavier.
    It affects your speed and acceleration. It's the same thing as saying that car's mass should affect it's torque. It doesn't, because it's the parameter of the car's engine/transmission, and not the car itself. Again, thrust is the parameter of your engine's output, nothing else.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    It affects your speed and acceleration. It's the same thing as saying that car's mass should affect it's torque. It doesn't, because it's the parameter of the car's engine, and not the car itself. Again, thrust is the parameter of your engine's output, nothing else.
    roger that! and thank you for the information.