Simulated Repair Crew and Centralized Systems

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The crew update was proposed and most people seemed to agree that you could have a crew system that bridged the divide between RP and PVP. In keeping with this idea I propose the following two simple ideas to also bridge that divide which I think will make the game more enjoyable for both camps.

(any numbers in these examples are only examples for math purposes)
    (this idea could apply to any system, I've randomly picked shields for this example)

Centralized Systems:
    Centralized systems are nice for RP and game immersion. They provide a target for both player and AI battles. The bonuses proposed should make PVPer's happy as well. Systems get a bonus based on the number block sides of system blocks touching each other.
    Example:
    two touching sides of system blocks give a bonus of 2 (1 for each side)
    1 shield block => 10 shield points.
    2 touching shield block sides => 2 shield points.
    2 isolated shield blocks => 20
    2x1x1 shield blocks => 20 + 2 = 22
    8 isolated shield blocks => 80
    2x2x2 => 80 + 24 = 104​

Accessible Systems to simulate crew access:
    Having hallways and engineering spaces are great and necessary for RP and game immersion as well. This system simulates both the RP and PVP benefits of having a crew. The Repair Block represents a new system block that facilitates "repair and maintenance" of all system blocks.
    • This block will be transparent and transverse-able like the trigger area block.
    • Minimum of two blocks high to be functional (a player must be able to walk through)
    • Should be treated as one centralized system (a player should be able to walk the entire span of the system)
    • every side of the repair block has the capability of repairing 1? block hit-point per second?
    • in the case of centralized systems, the repair block only needs to touch one block of the system to repair any block in that system.
    I recognize that this centralized system idea may not apply well to all systems or if it is applied to a system like power or thrust, that it could result in huge ships that could crush any server... To this i propose optional Server Configurable Hard Limits which I detailed in that thread.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I like this idea, would give purpose to a ship having an interior (even it if it was only a series of 1-by-2-by-'x' corridors).

perhaps it could be combined with other concepts. such as heat-damage, (for instance, a cannon or beam battery/system-group could overheat and damage itself, meaning you'd need maintenance corridors in order to correct it.